KZJ78 Good Method for ATF Change? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, it's the ATF time of the baseline process. I have researched and read some threads talking about frequent or subsequent "drains and refills".

Does anybody know of a better, more thorough way of changing ATF on these transmissions? I am thinking of a hot fluid swap utilizing the transmission pump, clear tubing, and transmission cooler lines.

Your 2¢s please!

Moe

Find a shop with a transmission replacement machine (e.g. BG brand) and have them do it. I use Amsoil's universal ATF in my 80 series. That's the only Amsoil product I use so not pushing the brand but it does a very good job. Recently changed the 80 transmission after 100k miles with Amsoil and what came out still looked new. Do not let them add any additives, flushes, or anything else. Just have them exchange the fluid.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah I checked with a few of the service shops around and they didn't have that machine, most didn't even knew such things existed lol.

I knew from my 80 series days that some shops do have these machines (IIRC, Christo from Slee ran one). With that being said, I actually am not shy of doing anything on my vehicles and have 3 HG jobs under my belt, so I'd actually rather do the job myself.

I grabbed 4 gallons of Valvoline Maxlife ATF full synthetic (Dex II, III compatible), and I am going to attempt using the following technique:

1. Warm up transmission to Transmission op-temp
2. Drain from drain plug
3. Replug and fill exact amount drained (through dipstick port)
4. Locate/unplug AT cooler lines at the radiator, extend them via clear tubing into a graduated pail
5. Under power, carefully pump out 1 qt, shut off, add 1 qt though dipstick port
6. Repeat until fresh ATF come out of the cooler line
7. Check levels, drive through gears, check again.

I might do a write up, we'll see lol

That procedure ^^ works great; I've done it a number of times now on my LJ78. Only addition I'd make, is run the shifter through a different gear each time you pump out (with foot on brake of course!). Also, I let a couple quarts come out each time before topping up. It won't starve it as long as you're parked level. Will take forever otherwise too...

Thanks for your advice @GTSSportCoupe it all worked beautifully. I also documented the process and posted it as a tutorial for other folks to go over.

Cheers!

You're welcome! And thanks so much for writing proper instructions! That'll be a great resource for many for years to come. I've used roughly the same procedure on a number of cars I've owned actually, so I'm sure will work for all the older auto cruisers, not just light duty 70 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom