Kzj78 CarPlay repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after my brother killed my land cruiser by leaving the headlights on overnight, jumped it and got it started again, everything’s fine except my radio (Sony CarPlay) won’t start up again. Screen won’t turn on, no power from the usb charger on it. But everything else in the truck works: cigarette lighter, all ac controls, buttons, gauge cluster. The fuse is fine in the “radio” spot and I’ve even tried putting new 10A fuses in but nothing. So I’ve unscrewed the radio and now I’ve got the back exposed. I know nothing about wires so can anyone tell me what my next step should be, what I should test or do? I have no clue what I’m looking at, but the only thing that looks a little funky to me is this ?ground? On the right side seems kind of out of place and it almost came out. It’s not being held in by anything, I’ll circle what I’m talking about in the photos. FYI it’s a 94 kzj78 prado

C3973314-5159-41C7-A1D3-3AD2985931C2.jpeg

9F060CC8-3B69-47E2-95AC-C42189CC2B71.jpeg

8B58D4CC-6875-456A-A145-F11C265A4B11.jpeg

unplug the radio, use a battery charger or any 12V battery and connect the yellow and red to positive, black to earth, the radio should turn on, the circle pic another earth so should be screwed to the truck dash metal somewhere

Hello,

The cables in the circle should not be there.

There is provision for a ground in the harness/connector, pin number 7 if I remember correctly. It should be a brown wire.

The radio is grounded to the left or right cowl in the 70 Series. Aftermarket alarm and radio installers tend to mess with this setup. It appears that someone messed a lot with your radio harness.

Your brown (ground) wire looks out of place.

Improper grounding usually kills radios in the 70 Series.

Some Sony radios have fuses inside. Maybe yours have a blown fuse (or fuses) that needs replacement.

Juan

I’ve got an aftermarket radio too. One thing I’ve noticed is when I reconnect the negative battery terminal (after having removed it for safety) the radio comes on when I turn the ignition key.
I think the radio gets a jolt of power that it interprets as the ON signal.
Maybe your modern radio couldn't handle such a zap.

Radio installs are a good way to learn about wiring. If you screw it up, the truck should still run.

Follow Willys advice to test using the red, yellow and black wires.

Thanks for the good tips. I found the problem, blown fuse inside/ behind the radio. Luckily it wasn’t a wiring problem or I would’ve been in trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom