kzj78 ac squeal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It might be worth checking to see that you have a full 12+ volts at the compressor. Not enough voltage to hold the hub in would allow it to slip.

I had this same issue, horrible squealing when AC was engaged from AC control panel dial, and it was narrowed down to the clutch. The shop I took it to recommended a new unit from a third party over any repair, but after they diagnosed and put it back, the issue fixed itself! I used the AC heavily in the desert soon after and had no issues, but I think I am on borrowed time. Sorry I can't recommend any fix, as the shop probably doesn't even know what they did to accidentally fix it.

I had this same issue, horrible squealing when AC was engaged from AC control panel dial, and it was narrowed down to the clutch. The shop I took it to recommended a new unit from a third party over any repair, but after they diagnosed and put it back, the issue fixed itself! I used the AC heavily in the desert soon after and had no issues, but I think I am on borrowed time. Sorry I can't recommend any fix, as the shop probably doesn't even know what they did to accidentally fix it.
Did the noise go away
i thought I had the same luck, noise completely went away and “fixed itself” for about a day. Now it’s back.
was the ac compressor/ clutch taken apart, and then when put back together the noise went away?

Did the noise go away

i thought I had the same luck, noise completely went away and “fixed itself” for about a day. Now it’s back.
was the ac compressor/ clutch taken apart, and then when put back together the noise went away?
Yes the noise went away and hasn’t come back since (about 5 months, but probably only about 3-5 hours cumulative AC use during that time). I did use the AC a lot this past weekend driving back from the mountains and still no issues.

I don’t know exactly what they did when it was in the shop, but it couldn’t have been too much because they considered it shot and recommended me to an AC specialty shop. Sorry I don’t have anything more helpful or specific to recommend.

Slipping might also be a seized compressor. Normally will turn when cold, but will stop and slowly burn your belt. You may even smell and see the smoke!
Make certain you check as you'd hate to have this happen at hwy speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom