KZJ71 Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Buying this KZJ71 on monday and looking at lifts. I've settled on Dobinsons as its easy to get here and I've had a good experience with Dobinsons on my Hiace. Does anyone run the 1.5" setup or the 2.5" setup? Pics? Are castor correction bushes needed for both kits or just the latter? Anything else I will need to change with the 2.5" kit?
1614433302206.png

I'm new to the KZJ71 also. I just installed OME medium springs and shocks. Added about 2" lift in front. Just back from alignment and plan to let the springs settle a bit before deciding on castor correction.
I'd recommend talking to Cruiser Outfitters. They have lots of experience with the 70 series and have always provided me with good advice.
Cheers,
Greg

PXL_20210128_183834374.jpg

Last edited:
I've run OME and Dobinson. Both around 50-60mm lifts. The Dobinson's drove nice, but the front springs started sagging after a year. I do have a winch and heavier than OEM front bumper. Maybe the springs would have been ok just for the stock bumper. I'd recommend at least a 50-60mm lift. And I do recommend caster correction bushings. The Dobinsons also have extensions for sway bars which is nice. More of a full kit sort of thing.

I've run OME and Dobinson. Both around 50-60mm lifts. The Dobinson's drove nice, but the front springs started sagging after a year. I do have a winch and heavier than OEM front bumper. Maybe the springs would have been ok just for the stock bumper. I'd recommend at least a 50-60mm lift. And I do recommend caster correction bushings. The Dobinsons also have extensions for sway bars which is nice. More of a full kit sort of thing.
Did you use the 60mm springs front and back? Do the brake lines need to be extended? Does it make a difference that I’ve got the 71 vs your 78? I do have a factory winch up front.

Does anyone run the 1.5" setup or the 2.5" setup?

I live near the biggest Dobinsons dealer in the world. They always say 2. 5 inch is best.

Do the brake lines need to be extended?
Usually 50 mm is ok . It might be something you have to install and check

Did you use the 60mm springs front and back? Do the brake lines need to be extended? Does it make a difference that I’ve got the 71 vs your 78? I do have a factory winch up front.

The OME kit was about 30mm front and 60mm back. Dobinsons was 60mm front and back. No, you don't need to extend brake lines for that lift. In fact I have a 100mm lift now with stock brake lines and it's been ok, but I should probably get to it sooner than later.

It's been a while since I looked at the OME and Dobinson catalogs, but I believe all the light duty coiled 1990+ 70 series are the same springs/shocks.

I think as just a highway/city daily driver with occasional light offroad, you'd be great with the Dobinson 60mm kit. Honestly, the light duty 70 series are basically lowered from factory. 60mm lift puts them where they should be as a minimum.

The OME kit was about 30mm front and 60mm back. Dobinsons was 60mm front and back. No, you don't need to extend brake lines for that lift. In fact I have a 100mm lift now with stock brake lines and it's been ok, but I should probably get to it sooner than later.

It's been a while since I looked at the OME and Dobinson catalogs, but I believe all the light duty coiled 1990+ 70 series are the same springs/shocks.

I think as just a highway/city daily driver with occasional light offroad, you'd be great with the Dobinson 60mm kit. Honestly, the light duty 70 series are basically lowered from factory. 60mm lift puts them where they should be as a minimum.
Thanks so much for your help. The truck will see a good deal of off roading, but nothing too major. Not going rock-crawling in Moab, more like forest roads/mountain passes in colorado type stuff. Moderately difficult trails that I've done in a Hiace van. I can't wait to see how much easier they are in this thing.

Also, the castor correction bushings are just for the front control arms right? don't need to change the back ones? I think I will go with sway bar extensions front and rear.

Thanks so much for your help. The truck will see a good deal of off roading, but nothing too major. Not going rock-crawling in Moab, more like forest roads/mountain passes in colorado type stuff. Moderately difficult trails that I've done in a Hiace van. I can't wait to see how much easier they are in this thing.

Also, the castor correction bushings are just for the front control arms right? don't need to change the back ones? I think I will go with sway bar extensions front and rear.

This lift would be perfect for the type of driving you're talking about. If you were rock crawling, it would be different.

Generally caster bushings are only put in the front yes. As it turns out, the same type does fit in the back. I put them in the back with my 100mm lift to help correct drive shaft angle. Added benefit is the rear articulates easier now! But the caster bushings wear out faster than the original equipment ones. Ideally new radius arms should be used, and I think there is a company working on a design (Delta VS).

This lift would be perfect for the type of driving you're talking about. If you were rock crawling, it would be different.

Generally caster bushings are only put in the front yes. As it turns out, the same type does fit in the back. I put them in the back with my 100mm lift to help correct drive shaft angle. Added benefit is the rear articulates easier now! But the caster bushings wear out faster than the original equipment ones. Ideally new radius arms should be used, and I think there is a company working on a design (Delta VS).

Will 33x12.5 fit after the lift, and will the 1KZ have any problems turning them? How about 33x10.5? I'm reluctant to change the tires that came on it because they are brand new but 31"x10.5. I'm planning on a 3" exhaust and front mounted intercooler, but not sure if I'll get to that before the lift.

Also, I shouldn't have any pinion angle problems with a 2.5" lift should I?

Will 33x12.5 fit after the lift, and will the 1KZ have any problems turning them? How about 33x10.5? I'm reluctant to change the tires that came on it because they are brand new but 31"x10.5. I'm planning on a 3" exhaust and front mounted intercooler, but not sure if I'll get to that before the lift.

33x10.5r15 or 255-85r16 are perfect sizes for these trucks, and I'd highly recommend those. 12.5 is nice for flotation in deep snow or mud, but more care may be required to prevent interference. I did a ton of wheeling in skinny 32s and it's amazing how far they could take me. So unless you're looking for trouble I think a skinny tire is fine.

Also, I shouldn't have any pinion angle problems with a 2.5" lift should I?

No you won't have a problem.

33x10.5r15 or 255-85r16 are perfect sizes for these trucks, and I'd highly recommend those. 12.5 is nice for flotation in deep snow or mud, but more care may be required to prevent interference. I did a ton of wheeling in skinny 32s and it's amazing how far they could take me. So unless you're looking for trouble I think a skinny tire is fine.

Thanks so much. Lift and tires sorted then. Now on to figuring out intercooler and exhaust. Man I'm so stoked to have a project again. Been on the road living in the Hiace for six months, nothing like wrenching to take the edge off of getting back to real life.

I’m now wondering if I should instead go with the 45mm dobinsons coils. The 60mm rear coils are rated for a 220lb constant load and I don’t plan on having a lot of gear in the back in the near term, so I’m wondering if the ride would be a bit harsh with those.

Do you have adjustable panhard rods or have you had any problems with the panhard rod bushings since lifting at any point?

Do you have adjustable panhard rods or have you had any problems with the panhard rod bushings since lifting at any point?

I don't have adjustable panhards, although they are available out there (ebay). My axles still seem pretty centered despite my lift, and the panhard geometry looks fine still. I have replaced the panhard bushings though, yes. When they start going it's quite noticeable.

Like I say, it's like these trucks are lowered from the factory. They did this to make it an easy to get into and good street handling suburban SUV for the Japanese. A 2.5" lift brings them to what should have been the standard height IMHO.

With suspension, you sort of have to trying things to really know what you want. 65mm Dobinsons is a good start IMHO. If you don't like it, you can always swap out something else, and probably get much of your money back selling your springs used.

I'm on my third suspension now, as the OME and Dobinson's left me wanting more. I think I've got what I want now. Would never have known without trying others.

I don't have adjustable panhards, although they are available out there (ebay). My axles still seem pretty centered despite my lift, and the panhard geometry looks fine still. I have replaced the panhard bushings though, yes. When they start going it's quite noticeable.

Like I say, it's like these trucks are lowered from the factory. They did this to make it an easy to get into and good street handling suburban SUV for the Japanese. A 2.5" lift brings them to what should have been the standard height IMHO.

With suspension, you sort of have to trying things to really know what you want. 65mm Dobinsons is a good start IMHO. If you don't like it, you can always swap out something else, and probably get much of your money back selling your springs used.

I'm on my third suspension now, as the OME and Dobinson's left me wanting more. I think I've got what I want now. Would never have known without trying others.
Thanks for your advice. I've ordered the 60mm dobinsons kit, with the rubber castor corrections bushings, sway bar extensions and steering damper. I also got the adjustable panhard rods from australia, and all new OEM underbody bushings. Finally, I'm going to extend my diff breathers.

I'm undecided about brake lines. I know you've not extended yours and been fine, but it seems like some of the other folks on here with the 78 needed to extend them after using the dobinsons kit. Did you extend your sway bars or get rid of them altogether?

Thanks for your advice. I've ordered the 60mm dobinsons kit, with the rubber castor corrections bushings, sway bar extensions and steering damper. I also got the adjustable panhard rods from australia, and all new OEM underbody bushings. Finally, I'm going to extend my diff breathers.

I'm undecided about brake lines. I know you've not extended yours and been fine, but it seems like some of the other folks on here with the 78 needed to extend them after using the dobinsons kit. Did you extend your sway bars or get rid of them altogether?

I think you've made a good call going with that kit.

I extended my diff breathers also. Way up high to keep water out.

The biggest difficulty with extending brake lines is bleeding the whole system effectively. It's hard to get all the air out as I've discovered. My brakes are working so well right now I'm hesitant to change anything, but I know with my lift I really should be changing those brake lines....

I run without sway bars at all right now. Truck is much better off road. Maybe a bit tippy and soft on road, but I've adjusted my driving style accordingly. When I tow my camper, I put at least the rear sway bar back on for safety.

Also ordering up some Toyo M/T 33x10.5

Perfect tire size!

I think you've made a good call going with that kit.

I extended my diff breathers also. Way up high to keep water out.

The biggest difficulty with extending brake lines is bleeding the whole system effectively. It's hard to get all the air out as I've discovered. My brakes are working so well right now I'm hesitant to change anything, but I know with my lift I really should be changing those brake lines....

I run without sway bars at all right now. Truck is much better off road. Maybe a bit tippy and soft on road, but I've adjusted my driving style accordingly. When I tow my camper, I put at least the rear sway bar back on for safety.

Perfect tire size!
I'm not sure I'm confident enough to run without both sway bars, certainly not the front. Hopefully by at least extending them I'll have better flex than without doing so.

It seem to me like if you're running 100mm lift with stock brake lines I should be fine. But I noticed others said they needed to so I guess I will just have to see after the lift goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom