Koyo / Timken bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck has Koyo bearing as it came from the factory. I need to change them so I ordered these numbers as per the EPC:
Inner: 90368-49084 (now superceded by 903684908477)
Outer: 90368-45087 (now superceded by 9008036067)

When they arrived I found, to my surprise, that they were Timken not Koyo! I thought Toyota OEM uses Koyo, or did they switch now?

The original Koyos lasted for 22 years so I thought replacing with the same ones make sense. I have no idea how good the Timken are and if they stood the test of time. But, I figure if Toyota sells them as replacement, they should be the same... :confused:

I got timkens from napa.... The funny thing was it was half price compared to buying them thru Toyota.... Apparently those red boxes Toyota puts their stuff in costs a butt load to make lol

Koyo bearings are very cheaply made chinese bearings. They are the cheapest we sell. Anything Timken or SKF is about the best you can get when it comes to bearings.

^^^ X2 on that....i know in the 40 section this was once discussed about the timken and koyo bearing the knuckle bearing is no big deal wether it is koyo or timken However the wheel bearing in the drive hub it was mentioned that the taper is slightly different on the timkens so the prefereble bearing would be koyo again this was in the 40 section dont know if it would apply to the 80 series.....give kurt a call at cruiser outfitters and he would most likely have an answer for you :)

Kurt sells both of the bearings. AFAIK Toyota used Timkin on the later model 80 series. The last 3 96-97s I worked on had them. Not sure about the trunion bearings.

Koyo bearings are very cheaply made chinese bearings. They are the cheapest we sell. Anything Timken or SKF is about the best you can get when it comes to bearings.

Great first post.....

My truck has Koyo bearing as it came from the factory. I need to change them so I ordered these numbers as per the EPC:
Inner: 90368-49084 (now superceded by 903684908477)
Outer: 90368-45087 (now superceded by 9008036067)

When they arrived I found, to my surprise, that they were Timken not Koyo! I thought Toyota OEM uses Koyo, or did they switch now?

The original Koyos lasted for 22 years so I thought replacing with the same ones make sense. I have no idea how good the Timken are and if they stood the test of time. But, I figure if Toyota sells them as replacement, they should be the same... :confused:

Toyota used both originally. Now they are superseded. I've sold countless of both numbers you have there and never had a problem. If they're good enough for Toyota then they're good enough for me. :D

:lol: Good one! :lol:

Y'all just got trolled. This thread was months old until the newb said koyo bearings are Chinese.

You do know that old threads are just as relevant as new ones, right?

And that some old threads sometimes get bumped up top, right?

:wrench:

:idea:

Of course. It's great when people search old threads, find answers to their questions, or ask a question about the thread. This one had been answered, no new information was added, and it would have been better off if the new post had been deleted.

You do know what trolling is right?
:cheers:

Easy killers. Just because Koyo is Japanese doesn't mean that the majority of their ball and roller bearings are not made in China. My only mistake was not knowing that SKF is now manufactured mostly in china now as well.

That doesn't change the fact that in the bearing and power transmission world Koyo is a small player and considered not as reliable a choice.

I just recently decided to get back in the Family business which has been selling Bearings, Seals, motors, idlers, conveyor belt etc... (Over 50 years) My knowledge is not where it needs to be.

I have been restoring an LX450 for a little while, hence my visit to ih8mud. I will try to never make another mistake again. My sincere apologies. I will now flog myself repeatedly until i have learned that such indiscretions cannot and will not be tolerated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom