KOYO rad 'made in china'? = lasted 18 months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little over a year and half ago,
the original TRAD OEM radiator sprung a leak via a hairline crack
on the upper right plastic tank top; 20 years of service.

Ordered up a koyo C1917, 3 core copper (vendor stated made in Japan),

Received a koyo A1918 made in China, 2 core Aluminum; was sceptical.

Lasted less than 18 months.

Just finished putting in a Denso 221-3128. 3 core Copper.

Point of the post...

-OEM is king. (TRAD got busted for price fixing by Japanese gov)
-If the shipped weight is less than 30 pounds its not a 3core copper rad.
-2core Al rads made in china are suspect.
-Denso has not let me down in the last 20 years...

Did you buy this off of Amazon, i have read lately that a lot of Amazon vendors were getting busted for listing one item in their ad, but sending their customer something completely different.

Hmmm. I got mine off amazon. Any way to identify?? Hate to be stranded for a junk radiator.

Got a trad copper from Toyota last year for 330 first one lasted 20 years why cheap out on China get something that will last just my thoughts

A little over a year and half ago,
the original TRAD OEM radiator sprung a leak via a hairline crack
on the upper right plastic tank top; 20 years of service.

Ordered up a koyo C1917, 3 core copper (vendor stated made in Japan),

Received a koyo A1918 made in China, 2 core Aluminum; was sceptical.

Lasted less than 18 months.

Just finished putting in a Denso 221-3128. 3 core Copper.

Point of the post...

-OEM is king. (TRAD got busted for price fixing by Japanese gov)
-If the shipped weight is less than 30 pounds its not a 3core copper rad.
-2core Al rads made in china are suspect.
-Denso has not let me down in the last 20 years...

I bought a new Koyo A1918 from Amazon too (shipped and sold from Amazon, not third party) but it was NOT made in China and it's been ok so far for 3 years. Where on your new rad did it fail?

Rifleman - Bought it through Amazon direct; ordered a Koyo C1917(Japan), got a A1918(China)

Scrowley - depends what you ordered and where it was made.

Ajax1 - T.RAD (Toyo Radiator Company) and K.RAD (Koyo Radiator Company) are both OE
manufacturers of radiators for Toyota.
I went with Koyo, as at the time T.RAD was
getting busted for price fixing. Paid out $7.41million in 2015,
and a T.rad in Canada from the dealer is still $749.10 plus tax.... go figure.

4G63POWER - Thanks Tips....it wasn't cheap, but i certainly did not receive the item that I paid for

Cruiser Ed - have yet to get it pressure tested, not visible in or out of truck, around a gallon down.
I suspect on the passenger side, concealed by side bracket.

Some koyo are made in China some Indonesia I never knew of koyo making the orginal Toyota rad, denso would be another choice

Last edited:
Rifleman - Bought it through Amazon direct; ordered a Koyo C1917(Japan), got a A1918(China)

Ajax1 - T.RAD (Toyo Radiator Company) and K.RAD (Koyo Radiator Company) are both OE

4G63POWER - Thanks Tips....it wasn't cheap, but i certainly did not receive the item that I paid for

Cruiser Ed - have yet to get it pressure tested, not visible in or out of truck, around a gallon down.

You are sure it is not a head gasket failure?

If I were you, I'd contact Amazon right away, and complain that you ordered an item off of their web site, and it was listed by their vendor as a Koyo C1917, and that's what you paid for. But when you received your order, it was if fact a different item, a Koyo A1918 . As I said above, Amazon is aware of this problem, because your not the first customer to have this happen to them.

...at the time i accepted the discrepancy as i needed a rad asap 18 months ago,
complaining to Amazon... not likely.

CSF 2517 and never look back!

Unrelated but ive also experienced the bait n switch from an Audi vendor. Only because i had done my homework and knew the number differences (as those in thread are quoting) was I able to stick to my guns and get them to 100% make me whole. So know your parts and if you want to avoid it n buying things twice talk to Beno about OEM parts. If you want to still be confidently heading out in your 80 across country 10 years from now, dont start peppering it now with discount parts. At 256k, I checked the oil, the tire pressures, grabbed a box of good CDs and drove 5700 miles in 7 days - pulling a trailer that weighed as much as the truck. Dont let her down and she wont let you down...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom