Kootenay Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am doing a Rockies trip next week. Just wondering if anybody knows of any good camping spots, Free or pay sites between Cranbrook and Osoyoos.

Cheers
GM.

I've passed through there many years ago (usually for work) but did not have much of chance to stop and explore, the few places that I did stop at were close to the highway (and I can't even remember where they are anymore) but I do remember the Backroad Maps being accurate as to the camp spots. I'd follow that.
How long are you going for? just you or more trucks?

Going for a week or so, no set time limit. 3 trucks. Starting in Mission, then off to Wells Grey park, next Mt Robson. Then through Jasper to Lake Louise, on through to Lussier hot springs. From there to Christina lake and the Kettle river. Just looking for another site to break up the trip in the kootenay's. Between Cranbrook and Christina Lake.

I like Yahk, found some camping around the area... don't remember exactly where, it was some 20+ years ago.

I just came back from Wells Grey, the mosquitos are bad this year with all the rain. The river is very high but the fishing was good at shadow lake. Thats a great area, I'd live in Clear Water if I got the chance.

I'd suggest getting a copy of the Backroads MapBook. Lot's of camping sites depicted in there. There is some neat exploring of old mining towns between Greenwood and Grand Forks.

Between Keremeos and Hedley, I would recommend a venture south into the Ashnola Valley. There is a nice camp spot (old Prov campground, no fees, but pit toilets and fire rings and some tables still there) called Buckhorn right on the river is a nice spot. Buckhorn is 10km up the valley.

British Columbia : Backroad Mapbooks, Recreation maps, GPS maps, Topo maps, Fishing maps, Digital maps for BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Canada

Last edited:
Hmmm, big area to narrow down to one or two places :hmm:.

The road over St Mary's pass (Kimberly to Crawford Bay/Kootenay Lake) might be interesting. You can make it more of a 4wd route if you retrace the original trail put in for powerline service, fords the river several times. The newer haul road is quicker. Then on the west end ferry over to Balfour and through Nelson. Lots of camping options. Nice area.

Another route is heading up the Moyie River drainage and over the pass into Kid Creek.

Can't guarantee either one isn't blocked now, its been 6 years since I explored up there.

Lots of logging roads along that route.

A road I've been thinking of doing is the old route from Rossland to Christina Lake. Ussually don't end up going through Trail on my way to the Kootenay's though.

A road I've been thinking of doing is the old route from Rossland to Christina Lake. Ussually don't end up going through Trail on my way to the Kootenay's though.

The KVR right away or is this another trail?

To the OP, there are lots of places to camp and explore just off of the highways there. This is a decent resource of what might be of interest on the route: Crowsnest Highway. There are a few good ghost towns along the road too.
Ghost Towns of British Columbia
Ghost Towns of British Columbia, Canada

This is old school video, but Bill Barlee has to have been one of the best historians on mining and ghost towns in BC. Here's a google search of all of his and Mike Roberts' shows of Gold Trails and Ghost Towns: Bill Barlee Gold Trails and Ghost Towns. - Google Search. I use to love watching them on CHEK or CHBC.

The KVR right away or is this another trail?

To the OP, there are lots of places to camp and explore just off of the highways there. This is a decent resource of what might be of interest on the route: Crowsnest Highway. There are a few good ghost towns along the road too.
Ghost Towns of British Columbia
Ghost Towns of British Columbia, Canada

This is old school video, but Bill Barlee has to have been one of the best historians on mining and ghost towns in BC. Here's a google search of all of his and Mike Roberts' shows of Gold Trails and Ghost Towns: Bill Barlee Gold Trails and Ghost Towns. - Google Search. I use to love watching them on CHEK or CHBC.

Old Cascade Highway Rossland to CL.

Good point about some of the short detours off the highway, especially to the old mines and ghost towns.

Depending on the day of the week some of the easy access lake/river side campsites may be full. Also depends on the group and how much patience they have searching out less developed/marked camping options. I like to leave it to chance and usually find something decent along the way.
:beer:

Old Cascade Highway Rossland to CL.

Cascade Highway, Rossland, BC, Canada
Travel to the community of Rossland, BC. When in Rossland, BC travel west on Hwy 3B, past the Rossland Historical Museum, and Black bear Road. On your right is a small sign and a gravel road going up hill. Turn here.

I have gone by this road so many times and have not even known it was there. It is now on my to do list!

:beer: