KO2 C vs E Load Range Puncture Resitance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background: punctured my stock tires on mesquite in first week of ownership. Good news is I already ordered a set of BFG KO2s 285/70R17 116S C1 BSW to go on my new rims that are being installed next week. I chose load range C bc I understood there to be a perceptible benefit in ride quality which was important to me (my wife).

However, this experience has me thinking if I should have gone with load range E instead of C...

So, according to the Mud gods, is there a measurable/noticeable difference in the puncture resistance between E and C on KO2s? I.e. enough difference to impact frequency of this issue if driving over mesquite covered trails often?

ty,

FB99C688-B5B1-439C-85CA-391206FC130F.jpeg

Welcome and already some adventure in the first week!

The load range speaks more to well, load rating and capacity. While plausible, it may or may not lead to appreciably more puncture resistance.

The major factor to more puncture resistance will be the tire type and model alone. KO2s that is, should prove to be much more puncture resistant than the OEM tire.

Unless otherwise explicitly stated by a tire manufacturer, there is no difference in puncture resistance between load ranges.

Unless otherwise explicitly stated by a tire manufacturer, there is no difference in puncture resistance between load ranges.

I had always thought that the E would have stronger sidewalls and therefore more puncture resistance at least on the sidewalls, but it sounds like I'm incorrect on that. As I never tow, I guess I should get C rated when I move to the 285/75/17 Ridge Grapplers? I'll certainly take the improved ride quality if I'm not giving anything up in terms of durability.

It seems like adding plies (E) would inherently increase puncture protection.

Modern tires no longer add physical plies for more load rating in general. It's a notional concept from tires of yore. Carcass changes for more capacity are generally reinforcement for more tire pressures, including finer belt spacing per inch and higher gauge belts. It's possible they do adjust thickness of layers to your point, so it's plausible though not always that there is incrementally more puncture resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom