Knuckles - mini vs. FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
Well, I'm getting closer to making a decision on histeer arms....Alan at rockbuggysupply.com has the arms for either the 76-78 FJ40 bolt pattern or the minitruck pattern. I'm presently running 77 knuckles and have yet to have any problems with them. I do have 2 sets of minitruck knuckles in the garage however...they just need to be disassembled and swapped over, plus the added expense of the knuckle rebuild kit (seals, etc.) (should AT LEAST do the ball felts/seals and such)

Any opinions on knuckle strength, and if the mini is larger enuf to matter?

I'm torn on the process....

I really don't think there is enough difference in the knuckles to swap them over. I think only the stud size is a bit larger, but not by much. I would just get the ones that fit your knuckles and bolt them on, unless you were planning on replacing the seals and scrapers.

Also, get that hydro assist on there while your at it. You've had that tapped box for at least 6 months already.

brian-

standardization man. 1979-1990 steering knuckle are the same world wide and top steer arms {spacing} and bottom caps are same 1979-1998 world wide. Cone washers are same for later model, etc etc. Toyota's world production of those vehicles is 100x what 1976-1978 LC were. Like the disk rotor thread, junk the olde stuff.

heartoftexasoffroad.com now has the best prices on disk knuckle kits

Besides the standaridation issue, the mini knuckles are stronger in a critical area: the spacing of the studs that retain the arms and bearing caps. The narrow spacing on 76-78 knuckles makes them more likely to wobble in their bores and wallow out. I had to helicoil a couple of my studs in my '76 knuckles, but I probably should have just replaced them with mini knuckles. You also have a wider selection of steering arms for mini knuckles.

and, if im not mistaken, the mini super birfs are too long? if i am backwards and they are too short, then never mind :D

I have twice had to try to find a r/s 76-78 knuckle and the LAST time just welded the double arm on the knuckle and drove out. (thanks again Space Ghost, I've gotta get back up there this year)
TRUST me those knuckles are getting hard to find. But as mentioned previously you can find plenty mini knuckles and they are stronger.
Not to mention the availability of aftermarket arms.
With that said, does anyone need a 76-78 knuckle with an Aquala double arm permanately attached to it? The knuckle has a high speed grease insertion point on the inside above where the seal retainer bolts on.

Do the 79 up knuckles Woody, they are just better.

question, can i switch knuckles (just the cast iron part) between my 78 and my mini hubs? What will the differences be? and what birfields will i have to use....one set being a mini spindle/hub with 78 knuckle, and the other set being a mini hub with 78 spindle. will the longfields work on both setups? the reason i want to do it like this, is i have new rotors on the mini hubs and also new calipers plus i like the mini lockout better.

i need some answers! please! :D

You can switch knuckles.
The arms and bottom caps have a different bolt pattern though.
Don't know what TRE's you have, but they are a different taper from the 78 arms to the mini arms. Mini arms same size taper as 80 series, thread size mini- 21 mm, 80 series- 23 mm
The spindles are the same, Cruiser disc-mini.
The mini birfs are a hair shorter and the bell is a c**t hair bigger so the balls have to be ground out on 78 and older Cruiser housings for um (I've been in KY too long) to fit. If using a mini birf on a Cruiser lockout hub, you just gotta use a bolt and a couple washers instead of the clip on the end of the birf.
Mini rotors suck cause they are solid, ie: non-vented and a lot thinner. (They suck on a mini and REALLY suck on a 40, trust me I know)
85 and older mini calipers will not let you use the thicker, better, vented Cruiser, I believe but don't quote me 79-newer 40 or 60 rotors.
Please do not take my birthday away if any of this is wrong, I will promise 99% of it is correct, just won't tell you which 1 % is wrong.
Don

PS
Newer, ie 86 and up mini IFS calipers will work with Cruiser rotors, so if you happen to have them on your mini knuckles like I do you will be good. They will both bolt up but the 79-85 calipers will not fit over the thicker Cruiser rotors. 8)  ???

If yer gonna end up buying rebuilt calipers, go with the 90-up IFS V6 calipers.....They have 4 large pistons vs the 2 large/2 small pistons in the earlier V6 and all 4cyl IFS minis.
You MIGHT have to grind a little of the outer edge of the caliper down to fit in your wheels though. It has been done without cutting into any passages or anything. You'll have to do some research on whether they will fit with your current wheel backspacing, though....I havent put my front axle together yet, so I cant tell you for sure what will/wont work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom