Knuckles, Birfields, grease, oil, duuuhhhhh.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing my first knuckle rebuild. Super greasy, but I'm having a blast. Cone washers have been easy for me. Brass drifts, impact wrench and air ratchet have made life LOADS easier. HATE the brake-line bracket that's riveted to the dust shield...wtf.

Anyway, it's obvious that the inner axle seal failed because the knuckle was FILLED with "black soup"......gear oil and grease mix I assume. So, the question is, can I clean and repack the Birfs without disassembling them?

The first snap rings that you're supposed to come to (the one on the end of the outer shaft) were not there on either side. An acutal LC shop was the last place\person to touch my axles.......So, I had to order new ones from Marlin.

You don't need to disassemble the birfs. I didn't. You may want to if there's a ton of wear, but it's typically not necessary. Just clean all the old gunk out and have fun repacking them.

Soooo.........how do I get the oil\grease mixture out of the Birf then? (usually I'm pretty smart, but right now I've got an 8 month old that's teething again.....)

Soooo.........how do I get the oil\grease mixture out of the Birf then? (usually I'm pretty smart, but right now I've got an 8 month old that's teething again.....)

Paint thinner followed by brake cleaner has always worked for me. A heater parts washer would be even better.

cleaning birfield

I used gasoline followed by brake cleaner. Kept pouring it in and sloshing it around.

I did the same, fill it up and slosh it around. Then shake it then, twist it around then dump. reapeat a few times with the cleaner of your choice. Then brake cleaner and repaet all steps ending with the brake cleaner when you think it is clean enough.

Also, make sure you get enough grease back in there, they will take more than you think.

Other than that take your time, watch the steps, and it shodl go fine. Mine went great, considering it was freezing cold and we were working outside with a propane heater for the last 1/2 of it.

I didnt like the bracket either, so I got rid of the dust shield and the bracket and went with the long flex line. (research it and decide for yourself.)

Thanks guys. THis will make the rebuild alot easier. Truly, the worst part of this whole process is the cleaning and de-greasing of every part. It'd be awesome if parts stores had public-accessible parts washers that you could use for a fee.......

The dirtiest stuff is actually all the stuff BEHIND my knuckles as it appears all the moly made its way out the back and just coated everything in this really cool dirt\grease mix.

Knuckles

Brake cleaner, then when you are done submerging them in the bucket of break cleaner, do it again. Having just done this last month I learned that when it came to cleaning and repacking "too much" was "almost" enough.:beer:

When I re-built mine, with the help of my Toy mechanic, he put the knuckle back on, filled it with 2 full tubes of molly grease, and slide the axle/birfs in. Packs the birfs at the same time, without having to fiull the knuckle from the top. Super easy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom