Knuckle Tool Dimensions Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I am looking for the dimensions of the factory service tool used for setting knuckle bearing preload. The FSM calls it an SST 09634-60013. I think I have read every thread that mentions anything related to this and still can't find what I'm looking for. Is there a member that has the real tool, a caliper, and a few minutes?

The following thread has lots of good info, but not everything I need. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/home-built-knuckle-centering-tool.569834/

Tokamak made his own tool, but used his own dimensions to do it.

I need the official dimensions from the official part.

Specifically, here's what I need to know:
1) How long the "steering knuckle bearing" caps are from where they bear on the knuckle bearing to the cut-out where the caliper rests.

2) The length of the arm that the fish scale hooks to (called the "centering gage lever"). If I make it the wrong length, the readings will be off.

The following link has pictures and names of parts for reference: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/knuckle-center-fsm/knuckle-centering-tool.pdf

BTW, I am a CNC machinist, and have no problem making these, I just need to get the dimensions. When I took the right side knuckle apart, there were no shims on the knuckle, so I need help as soon as possible since my DD is sitting on jack-stands at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
Mr. Technical

Last edited:
Call Kurt at cruiser outfitters.
He might be able to help you.

Aljollano, thanks for the suggestion. I got in touch with him, and he's very helpful. Unfortunately he won't be able to get the information to me until Monday. Anyone able to do it quicker than that? The weekend is prime wrenching time. (How's that for looking a gift-horse in the mouth?)

Mr. Technical

Give me a few hours and Ill get the tool and the dial caliper out and measure for you. I have the factory tool.

distance of lever you attach fish scale to.... 180mm

center to center of holes

length of bolt =196mm
bolt diameter 17mm

socket dimensions
ht, 25.5 mm
1st OD ,43.9mm
2nd OD, 38mm
shoulder ht. 5mm
you can call me if you want PM me and Ill give you m phone number

Last edited:
OK, Ill bite.

Looks like this is the correct dimensions.
http://toyenstock.free.fr/roulements_pivot/outil_cales02.PDF
20141010_172030_zpsqlsr5uek.jpg

20141010_171926_zpsfwwaxmpo.jpg

20141010_171607_zpsvbnli98s.jpg

20141010_172102_zpsktvotamk.jpg

This is for the other 3 pieces
20141010_173857_zpsmgsfv3ez.jpg

20141010_174029_zps3zvbk4vt.jpg

20141010_174107_zpsygt7bki9.jpg

20141010_174123_zpstcbt9bgp.jpg

20141010_174157_zps4scngsrh.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I love this place! BIG thanks to augirthedude and Cruiser Ed for the thorough responses. :cheers: You both have definitely answered my questions and put this one to bed. I'll try to knock one out tomorrow so I can keep plugging along. Have a good weekend guys.

Mr. Technical

Probably only if you're missing the shims like I am. There are other ways to approximate the shim thickness that you need, or you could just mark the shims that come off and put them back in the same spots. There are a lot of opinions and ideas about this, but most agree that improper shims will lead to the axle seals failing early.

Mr. Technical

Probably only if you're missing the shims like I am. There are other ways to approximate the shim thickness that you need, or you could just mark the shims that come off and put them back in the same spots. There are a lot of opinions and ideas about this, but most agree that improper shims will lead to the axle seals failing early.

Mr. Technical

So I guess your intention is to make one of these?
Consider turning a few out for the community that could do a few laps of mudder's garages when they need one or make a few quid selling them cheaper than the genuine one.

The same thought had briefly crossed my mind Crick60.

Thanks for the follow up Cruiser Ed!

If I do make some of these, it won't be to make money. It would just be to keep some cruisers rolling.

Mr. Technical

Cruiser Ed,

I finally got around to making this. It rained over the weekend so I'll have to wait till the next to work on the truck. I realized that I'm missing one measurement. What I'm looking for again is the height of the "tophats" measured from where the knuckle bearing pushes against it to the ledge that you measure to when you're using the tool. That's the critical dimension that I've been looking for. Both the top and the bottom "tophats" are probably the same, but the two of them together, pressing against the knuckle bearings, are what gives you the overall height measurement for you shim calculations. For your reference, in the 4th pic you posted, you are measuring the small ledge. What I need is the measurement from that small ledge down to the face that is sitting on the case beneath it. Hopefully that makes sense.

I hate to ask you to get all of this out again, but it's the only thing holding me back at the moment. If you can't, no worries. Thanks very much!

Mr. Technical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom