Knuckle stud sizes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased some used disc brake knuckles to replace the completely ruined ones I took off of my Venezuelan FJ40 (studs were all different sizes & some were welded in).
I then ordered some 12mm Knuckle studs from Marlin only to find they don't fit when I tried installing them today. The Marlin studs seem to be M12-1.5 on the knuckle end and M12-1.25 on the nut end. The studs that are in my knuckles now seem to be 7/16 - 20 on the nut end, and I have no idea what size it is on the knuckle end. My nut/bolt thread tool seems to have no match for em.

I can just keep the ones I have and get some new 7/16" - 20 nuts, but I'm keen to know what the size/thread of these studs really are and if replacements are available.

Are you talking about the wheel studs? Pictures would help. Also, year of the parts would help and which vehicle they came off.

Hi @byron, sorry, no, speaking of the studs at the top and bottom of the knuckle (see photo attached, not mine).
I have no idea what year rig the knuckles came off of, but they are from the 'disc brake years'. There can't be too many different sizes of studs that were used over the years, but Marlin only sells M12 studs and I cant find any other sites that list the sizes of their studs.
Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.19.07 PM.png

I would press the SAE studs out and install the correct metric stud back in. all knuckles from 40 to 80 use the same metric studs.

"some were welded in" That's crazy! Agree with @SlapSmak , get the correct ones in there. All down hill from there.

Wheel lugs were pressed in not the ones for the steering arms like Paul said. Since your using different knuckles think what year and model is the information needed to figure this out. Venezuelan cruisers were know to run Dana rear axles and you say the studs you took out were SAE I would take that out of the whole conversation. The current knuckles your using is all that matters.

Hi @byron, sorry, no, speaking of the studs at the top and bottom of the knuckle (see photo attached, not mine).
I have no idea what year rig the knuckles came off of, but they are from the 'disc brake years'. There can't be too many different sizes of studs that were used over the years, but Marlin only sells M12 studs and I cant find any other sites that list the sizes of their studs.
View attachment 2796654
I'm pretty new to the whole fj40 thing, but I am building my brother's 1966. Aren't these studs 11 mm in diameter? I know dimensionally 11 mm is very close to 7/16" (.004" difference nominally). I'm in a little bit of a predicament with these parts myself. We are trying to convert to wilwood calipers from btb... and I'm wishing his knuckle had the 12 mm studs so we could run a super heavy duty steering arm...

Resurrecting this thread, as I am resuming work on the truck. Thank you @pb4ugo, this was helpful. I do indeed have the pre '79, 11mm stud variety of knuckle. That will be helpful in securing new parts to get this thing sorted.

The knuckle stud appears to be two different sizes depending on year. Not sure of the breakdown. I upgraded my 72 to 82 Front axle with disc brakes. The studs in that appear to be M12 size. I ordered knucle stud kit and most of them I find are M10 for the older model (Pre disc brakes? or 1979 and older). Although it seems some of the listings for 1979 and up with disc brakes are showing the M10. I say all this to help someone else. See what size you have before you order.

Resurrecting this thread, as I am resuming work on the truck. Thank you @pb4ugo, this was helpful. I do indeed have the pre '79, 11mm stud variety of knuckle. That will be helpful in securing new parts to get this thing sorted.

All of the necessary parts are available from Cruiser Outfitters or your local Toyota dealer. All hardware, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom