Knuckle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never done a knuckle rebuild but I’d have to guess the inside of the axle housing shouldn’t look boogered up and scarred.

The axle is supposedly a ‘78. This is the driver’s side and i had absolute hell getting the knuckle bearings off the bearing caps.

All that to say…

Shouldn’t the inside of this housing look machined and not like a bad weld job? Cracks, scarring, etc. Opinions?

60CFA2ED-2545-4E19-B2BB-7B0750F0602D.jpeg

0A8EE1D2-BEA4-4613-9EBE-10D81914FACD.jpeg

6B187310-CCC7-40F6-8D07-EF6DA99BA307.jpeg

5F7475F7-6F13-4C26-9134-C25D8CBE2EA4.jpeg

57EC24C6-700E-420D-BE33-0A58D7FD1D3F.jpeg

It looks like someone may have (very badly) clearanced those knuckle balls for the later birfs if they used an earlier housing and converted it to oem disk brakes. If the birfs aren't munched on the outside, I wouldn't worry much, but would totally try and clean up that inner surface.

That's a result of broken birfields. It's chewed up, but in reality it can be reused. Nothing touches the inside of the ball except for broken birfs bits. It can be reassembled with new races, bearing and seals.

That's a result of broken birfields. It's chewed up, but in reality it can be reused. Nothing touches the inside of the ball except for broken birfs bits. It can be reassembled with new races, bearing and seals.

That would make a lot of sense too.

I agree with @DangerNoodle. It looks like it's been ground for bigger birfs too. I've broken many birfs in the past. The scaring looks familiar.

@bamelanc, I'd hard wheel those munched-up clearances in straight and clean up with a flap wheel. Make it so it doesn't look like an angry beaver went after it. If there is nothing wrong with the trunion races and the axle seal mating surface, the housing is fine. It looks like it is somewhat rust-pitted on the outside, trying to wire wheel that or clean it up in a non-material-removing fashion would probably be good.

Unless that housing is bent, I wouldn't worry about rebuilding that at all.

A lot of bad noises were mad in the harming of that axle!
Clean it up and smooth as best you can, like is mentioned above. Nothing wrong with using that axle.

It doesn’t look like it was done to clear a newer birf or if they did it was done in the wrong area.
That looks like a damage done by the birf itself.

A.J

The passenger side was in better shape, still some scoring on the inner part of the knuckle bearing.
82D01C64-1F60-4F25-8857-D61BFBD21F56.jpeg
2D73BB8A-E244-4881-BF28-F97100F335C0.jpeg
889AFD3D-7FAC-40A3-A29A-3BF3BA254ED4.jpeg
42AB13D9-F3CB-4050-957E-8EDB2E7E4A6B.jpeg

buggered up for sure-esp the outer wiper surfaces-not a big issue, except you will get a lot of sand in there that the wipers can't clean off--my biggest concern would be the voids and scars on the upper/lower bearing race fits-might alter the kingpin inclination, and affect steering (eventually)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom