Knuckle rebuild. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After a lot of research I decided on Valvoline Palladium multi-purpose grease for the knuckles and Valvoline Durablend Synthetic Blend grease for the wheel bearings.

thread marked for future reference!

After a lot of research I decided on Valvoline Palladium multi-purpose grease for the knuckles and Valvoline Durablend Synthetic Blend grease for the wheel bearings.

Actually, for the slow moving load bearing bearings, aka trunion/knuckle bearings, you want moly based grease, not multipurpose. Check the service manual and it will show the exact spec the moly grease should consist of.

The high speed multipurpose grease is for the wheel bearings, be it dino or synthetic. You also load up the middle area of the hub with the multipurpose grease so that it is flush with the edges. Again, the service manual will address this.

Good luck

Paul, do you have the rebuild kit and marlin seals? I've got some in inventory.
for grease, a good molybdenum based for the birf/knuckle, and a lithium based for the wheel bearings
I use Valvoline from Napa, nothing special, not synthetic, been using it for decades and no issues.
Paul

One last question. I'm completing my rebuild today. When I torn down the axle there was not a snap ring on the stud birfield.
SO I do not have one to replace.
I'm ready to mount the locking hub body.
Question- Is there supposed to be a snap ring placed after the the hub body is mounted? Do I need one?
I'm running Warn locking hubs.
Thanks.

Pretty sure there's supposed to be a snap ring installed there, I'm not sure what could go wrong if it was run for a long period without it being there though.

IIRCC the warn hubs used a bolt with a fender type washer into the end of the birf. no snap ring

IIRCC the warn hubs used a bolt with a fender type washer into the end of the birf. no snap ring

I think that's only if your using a late model short birfield with a long body lockout. The short birfields are not long enuff to install a snap ring, so a washer and bolt is used.. The longer birfield extends thru the long body lockout and the snap ring can be installed.

I have I.D'ed my axles as a set of "Long" Birfields. Stock for 78 40's. I have ordered a set of Snap Rings.
I will update later this week, regarding snap ring or not.
Anyone know the size bolt that will screw into the end of the stub birfield?

Completed the passenger side knuckle rebuild. For educational purposes, snap ring would not fit. Axle was to short or hub body too long. The axle did have spot welds on the splines. It’s my understanding this is done to prevent movement of the inner axle on or out too much.
Disassembled the drives side last night. Here is a pic of the inner Axle I pulled out. Please comment on the proper placement of the inner snap ring. Thanks

6C8D0DD9-9DDC-450E-98DE-FE7A2D879025.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom