Knuckle Rebuild:What grease to use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used the full synthetic valvoline moly in the birfields and on the wheel bearings, because it was the only moly I could find with out ordering it online, and it seemed thick enough,

I use this grease everywhere on my FJ60.

So, if you knew that wasn't as good as the lithium based moly grease, um, why did you use it?

Just revisited this sort-of old thread...

Somebody told me that it was fine. He was wrong. I was too, for listening to him.

Old thread revive...

I know I'm stupid so I don't feel bad asking the obvious here.

I'm tracking on the Moly grease (bought a couple of these for the birf) but the I need a sanity check to see if I'm overthinking this MP grease.

I have a few tubs of this stuff sitting around that I was planning on using for the rest of the non-birf greasing.

Is there any reason the TSC / Travellers grease wouldn't work? It looks like the same old NLGI #2 GC-LB type grease that others have used but I'd rather not do this knuckle piece wrong because I foolishly though all goop was equal.

Can't be, not expensive enough..

Well then, I will give up on trying to use the open container in my garage. I'll continue to use it on shackles and bumper spindles but I'll just buy more Moly grease and use it for everything - birf, knuckle, wheel bearings, hubs, etc.

I used Chevron NLGI #2, haven't put many miles on but so far no problem. Keep in mind that if you have manual locking hubs your Birfields aren't even turning until you've locked the hubs in. Given that my FJ62 made it to 300,000 km on original birfs, I'm sure using the "wrong" grease will get me to at least half that mileage, by which point the vehicle will most likely have changed hands since it's taken me 6 years to get not even 150k on my daily driver

I researched this last year (for my second knuckle rebuild) and ended up using the same Amsoil moly grease for both the bearings and knuckles. Apparently, that's what the SLEE offroad (80s series trucks) guys have been using. Figured if it was good enough for those dudes, should be good enough for me.
was this the grease you used for your bearings and knuckles?
and if so, how much did you need?
Thanks!

was this the grease you used for your bearings and knuckles?
and if so, how much did you need?
Thanks!
this is what i use. Lithium based.
IMG_4323.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom