Knuckle rebuild trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m at the end of my knuckle rebuild and I’m hit a road block. I have everything seated correctly but still don’t have enough shaft to put the snap ring back on. Any ideas?...

C865C9A8-2279-444D-9D4B-14F45625D6E0.jpeg

did you seat the hub all the way? sometimes it takes a bit of a smack to get all the way on. is everything else seated flush? try tightening the drive flange down. Might make the difference.

did you seat the hub all the way? sometimes it takes a bit of a smack to get all the way on. is everything else seated flush? try tightening the drive flange down. Might make the difference.

Ill second that. Ran into the same issue with my rebuild. Hub is probably not seated all the way on the spindle.

Ill second that. Ran into the same issue with my rebuild. Hub is probably not seated all the way on the spindle.
So I am about to go start on it again. I will make sure it is fully seated on the spindle.

The only other thing I am thinking is maybe the inner wheel bearing race wasn’t seated fully when I hunkered it in.

There are usually one of those "ah ha" or "hmmmm" moments where you can think back to one step that may possibly not have been done right!!

There are usually one of those "ah ha" or "hmmmm" moments where you can think back to one step that may possibly not have been done right!!

I think I found the problem. I feel a little gap between the inner wheel bearing race seating.

I have two solutions.

1. Pull the seal. Wait for a new seal to come in to finish. Pull the wheel bearing out and re seat the race

2. Put the spline in and hit it until the bearing seats

I think I found the problem. I feel a little gap between the inner wheel bearing race seating.

I have two solutions.

1. Pull the seal. Wait for a new seal to come in to finish. Pull the wheel bearing out and re seat the race

2. Put the spline in and hit it until the bearing seats

I would not go with door number 2. I had to beat those races in pretty good when I replaced mine. You could risk making your situation worse!

Just order a new seal and chalk it up to a learning experience. Do it right, do it once. Or, in this case.....twice. :rofl:

As ^^^ said, do not choose door #2.

Those races need to be ponded in pretty hard so I think you are more likely to cause damage than get it in properly.

Just order a new seal and chalk it up to a learning experience. Do it right, do it once. Or, in this case.....twice. :rofl:

As ^^^ said, do not choose door #2.

If it’s worth doing right, it’s worth doing twice.

I pulled the seal and pounded on the race until it was properly seated. Put in a new seal . Put it back on the spline and wah lah the snap ring fits perfectly.

Way to go Kytheguy!! I just got done with that same job. Now I am on to the distributor 0 ring, PHH, and valve cover.

Right on. I'm taking my time also. I think I am going to go through the rear end next month. New brakes, bearings, seals, fluid, etc... Its like 105 degrees out here right now.

Right on. I'm taking my time also. I think I am going to go through the rear end next month. New brakes, bearings, seals, fluid, etc... Its like 105 degrees out here right now.
At least its not like 90% humidity. :crybaby:

Those races need to be ponded in pretty hard so I think you are more likely to cause damage than get it in properly.
This is one of those jobs were one of those small Hyd. press's make doing a job like this safe, and easy.

This is one of those jobs were one of those small Hyd. press's make doing a job like this safe, and easy.

This is definitely true! I bought a press to do my bushings, wish I had it for the races when I did my knuckles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom