Knuckle Rebuild Questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am lining up my projects for the winter on my 1972 FJ-40. One of the projects is to install 60 series knuckles on it install disc brakes. I will plan on re-building the knuckles with a kit from Kurt at Cruisier Outfitters. I have read a ton of stuff on the forum sites and watched a bunch of videos on you tube but still have a few questions What size is the nut that holds the axle in? Any suggestions on where to get that tool? Secondly, what type of grease do I use to pack the bearings etc..... Is there a special type you all would recommend? Thanks for the input. Again, acquiring parts etc... now so can complete the work over the winter. I will also be putting in a donor 2F as I seized my F earlier this year after a frame off re-build. I don't need to tell you that was a huge downer. Anyway, now looking to finish my phase II projects at the same time as I put in the new motor. Thanks for the input.

High temperature wheel bearing grease and moly grease for hub and cv 54mm socket you can get them off ebay

Awesome, Many thanks. I appreciate the help. Looks like Cruiseroutfitters.com is a good bet for parts. I am picking up knuckles from a 60 this weekend and will begin getting them cleaned up for my build.

I used marlin seals which I was very impressed with, however I used Kurt at cruiseroutfitters for bearings and the kit. I will use Kurt again, great source of info also!

Read, read and read again the FAQs on a knuckle rebuild. I had diagram from repair manual enlarged which helped quite a bit. Dirty job but definitely doable as it was my first repair like that and my first brake job. Damn things still working like a charm!

Kurt, thanks for the link. If I keep my current steering and tie rods will I be able to install the FJ60 knuckles without other modifications? I am not getting ready to clean up my parts and get them ready for the rebuild. What should I be cleaning the parts with? Acetone brake cleaner?

OOPS Typo NOW getting ready to clean the parts. Also, one more question. What is the recommended way to get the old bearings out of the knuckle? What is the method to get the new ones back in?

Front Disc before re-build (4).JPG

Brass drift and hammer

You also need a seal puller. It has hooks on the end. You might also get a seal installation kit from harbor freight or wherever.

The 60 series steering arms have a larger hole taper than your tie rod ends are designed for. Btw you also should a tie rod end puller (not a pickle fork). There are bushings you can use (do a search) to take up the slack or you can use combinations of other parts to make it all work. Just depends on what you want to do.

...via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
I rented tool from O Reilly's to seat the races. Very easy and well worth the funds.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I will have to check out these tools. I will check with local auto parts store as I know they do rent other tools etc... Pressure washed the parts over the weekend and will clean and get ready to re-paint. I think I will go with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for the bearing and knuckle kit. I am seriously thinking about getting new calipers since I can get them for $45 each at my local NAPA, as I would hate to put the whole thing back together and have to take it apart again. One of the many mini projects I am working on over the fall early winter. If I go with the backing plate eliminator, how do I connect the brake line? Does it just go from the Axle to the caliper directly?

Also, My original booster/master had a shot diaphragm so I replaced it with this used one, will this support the front discs? It says it will but wanted to be sure.

Brake Master-Booser (1).JPG

Brake Master-Booser (2).JPG

Folks, just looking to revive my last question. Will the booster I have in my 1972 support the new front discs?

Kurt, thanks for the link. If I keep my current steering and tie rods will I be able to install the FJ60 knuckles without other modifications?

I don't think anyone answered this question You will NOT be able to use the 1972 steering arms on the 60-series knuckles. The bolt pattern and steering arms for the FJ60 are larger. The 60-series Tie Rod Ends are also larger, so you can't use them with the 40-series tie rod.

What you will need to do is use the 60-series steering arms on the knuckle. The tapered holes for the Tie Rod ends will be too large for the 40-series tie rods. HOWEVER, they sell a steel shim insert with the proper taper. They aren't cheap (I think they were about $15 each) but they work. There are stories out there about people using a Chevrolet Starter bushing to take up the slack (P/N SB0). I tried this, and, while the fit in the steering arm, they didn't rake up enough slack for the Tie Rod Ends to seat properly.

I took a bunch of pictures when I did this swap/rebuild. Starts on page 15, linked below:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/th...in-refurbishing-a-1975-chevota.725833/page-15

I was tackling a BUNCH of projects at once, but if you feel like sifting through it, you can probably see the whole conversion and rebuild from start to finish.

Ok thanks all, looks like I have more homework to do again. Many Many thanks for the information. Looks like I am in the Market for some 60 series steering arms and tie rod ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom