Knuckle rebuild kit recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I'm looking to get the parts to rebuild knuckles on 86 FJ60. There's so many kits out there. Would like to hear a rec on best overall combination of value and price. I'm doing both sides. Truck has 112k miles. Using 30" tires on stock rims at standard ride height.
Thx

I replaced mine. You will have it all apart so not a bad time to do that. But check the play in them. Might not need it. But again everything comes apart with that work so you might as well. How are your rotors?

I bought the Trail Gear Kit.
63EA41FA-A154-4940-AA8C-966A27836529.png

17653DE6-0ECB-4AF0-80D9-B54F707744E1.png

Keep in mind this is a very messy job. Have alot of paper towels on hand, use nitrile gloves that you will change several times and have trash bag handy to keep throwing oily stuff away. Good luck with the rebuild.

Keep in mind this is a very messy job. Have alot of paper towels on hand, use nitrile gloves that you will change several times and have trash bag handy to keep throwing oily stuff away. Good luck with the rebuild.

Last time I went to the hardware store they were out of the normal purple nitrile gloves I buy and they only had these left. I'll stick with these from now on as they are about twice as thick and super durable....I can reuse them vs having to change gloves multiple times during a job because the fingers tore open

1586453014129.png

likely your existing wheel bearings will be fine. When you open it all up, look for any rust on them, but they will likely be fine.

Good luck! Make sure to read through some of the stickies on rebuilding knuckles - it is a messy, but easy job. Just make sure you have everything you need on hand.

I would replace them. The price is negligible when compared to the time/cost to do the job over again. But, if you're on a budget, they are large HD bearings and many have run them over 200K miles (with proper maintenance).

If you don't have one, a medium brass drift will be your friend.

Use Koyo bearings.

Best kit is Terrain Tamer (IMHO).

Make sure (ask) that they contain the HD Marlin (double lip) birf seals.

Just ordered my 60 knuckle rebuild kit from @cruiseroutfitters and got it in the mail in 2 days (pretty impressive Utah>AL). They use Sumo kits (made in Japan) and offer Timken or Koyo wheel bearings. Either will be fine.

I’ve ordered 60 and 80 kits from them in the past and they always provide everything you need to do a rebuild. I opted for Marlin Crawler inner axle seals too and ordered an extra for a spare (or in case of install user error). Can’t recommend their customer service enough.

Double recommend that the kit has the Marlin axle seals...

I used Cruiser Outfitters kit, x2 times now. Probably will get another kit. I used newspapers to get the initial grub out, then shop towels for the shiny clean.
Good luck, this is a rite of passage for Cruiser owners.

Just make sure you keep track of your shims!!
And while you are at it you may as well replace the inner axle shaft seal. It is:

Timken/National 710070
NOK AD1929F
SKF 12810
Beck/Arney 0523644
TTO D423
It costs almost nothing but can cause all sorts of bad things when your gear oil gets into the grease.

Just make sure you keep track of your shims!!
And while you are at it you may as well replace the inner axle shaft seal. It is:

Timken/National 710070
NOK AD1929F
SKF 12810
Beck/Arney 0523644
TTO D423
It costs almost nothing but can cause all sorts of bad things when your gear oil gets into the grease.

Skip all these and use the marlin seal.

Going to reiterate what others have said. Quality bearings is key: Koyo or Timken. Also, keep track of the shims and put them back the same way they came off. Also, you need to use moly grease in the knuckle. And I've heard good things about the Marlin axle seals, but have no first hand experience.

Cruiser Outfitters is a great vendor.

Skip all these and use the marlin seal.
Since Marlin, as far as I know is not a seal manufacturer, when you get that seal you will likely find it is one of the seals listed. They all have numbers and usually mfgs stamped on the seal. I'd be curious to know what the Marlin seals do have stamped on them.
NOK and Koyo are the OEM manufacturers for Toyota for these model cars.

And I second the Cruiser Outfitters comment. Not only a great vendor, but very knowledgeable and will provide lots of help after the sale. Great guys.

Since Marlin, as far as I know is not a seal manufacturer, when you get that seal you will likely find it is one of the seals listed. They all have numbers and usually mfgs stamped on the seal. I'd be curious to know what the Marlin seals do have stamped on them.
NOK and Koyo are the OEM manufacturers for Toyota for these model cars.

And I second the Cruiser Outfitters comment. Not only a great vendor, but very knowledgeable and will provide lots of help after the sale. Great guys.

Marlins seal is unique and different than the OEM seal which is made by NOK (and included in our kits). It features a double lipped seal in a new position, higher flex (axle deflection when turning) and a flange so you can seat them easily. We stock them at Cruiser Outfitters!

Stock seal:
Screenshot_20200412-122425_Chrome.jpg

Marlin HD Seal:
Screenshot_20200412-122456_Chrome.jpg

Hello,
I'm looking to get the parts to rebuild knuckles on 86 FJ60. There's so many kits out there. Would like to hear a rec on best overall combination of value and price. I'm doing both sides. Truck has 112k miles. Using 30" tires on stock rims at standard ride height.
Thx

We would love to help you with a knuckle rebuild kit @ Cruiser Outfitters. We stock all Japanese kits with parts from OE Toyota manufacturers at a great price. All kits include the necessary parts and step by step instructions too.

You can read about our kits here on ih8mud:

You can call/email to order or order immediately online here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom