Knuckle rebuild help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok , I'm doing a front disc conv. on my FJ40.I'm putting FJ60 knuckles on my 71 axle. I stripped the knuckles down to degrease them, but didn't pay attention to the shims. How do I find out what shims went where , and what do I need as far as new gaskets and so on. I'm lost my brothers( or sisters), could you" PLEASE " help me out. Point me in the right direction. And price is an issue. But I will do what I need to do to get this done right. I know I'm forgetting something, But it will come to me as I get replies. :confused::bang:

I recently rebuilt the front axle from a 1978 FJ40 to install into my 1968. As for the gaskets and bearings, I got everything from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. He is a great guy to work with and sells a great rebuild kit.

As for the shims, I can't directly help aside from what I had learned from reading a lot of threads here prior to doing my rebuild. If you have to re-center everything with new shims, there is an SST for doing that and the instructions are in the factory service manual. If I remember right, there was someone here on Mud that had the SST and was willing to loan it out.

Ok , I'm doing a front disc conv. on my FJ40.I'm putting FJ60 knuckles on my 71 axle. I stripped the knuckles down to degrease them, but didn't pay attention to the shims. How do I find out what shims went where , and what do I need as far as new gaskets and so on. I'm lost my brothers( or sisters), could you" PLEASE " help me out. Point me in the right direction. And price is an issue. But I will do what I need to do to get this done right. I know I'm forgetting something, But it will come to me as I get replies. :confused::bang:

it does not matter in your case where the shims were originally, because you are replacing the original knuckles.

you will need a centering tool to complete the job correctly. the centering tool allows you to measure for clearances, which you substitute with the proper shims. it also sets up proper pre-load for your trunnion bearings

you will also have to remove some material on the inside of the axle housing, generally around the inside of the trunnion bearings

there is an upgrade for the wiper on the backside of the knuckle housing as well as an upgrade for the inner axle seal. both are very worth while

I did hear about the SST from my buddy who also has a 40. I kinda thought that the old shim placement may not matter,due to a new or different axle. I also heard the SST was costly. Is there a place to rent one ?

I forgot to mention both the inner seal and the wiper upgrade. I did both and couldn't be happier with them.

it does not matter in your case where the shims were originally, because you are replacing the original knuckles.

Yea, but if you had the ones from the replacement knuckles they would have been correct. I don't remember who rents their knuckle SST either.

I rented one on the forum here from LukeZero. Great to deal with.

When I had the one for LukeZero, I took measurements and had a guy at work machine me one. I have never used it so I'm a bit reluctant to loan it because I'm not sure if all the clearances would be okay to work for you. On paper it should work but haven't used it.

Nik

I did hear about the SST from my buddy who also has a 40. I kinda thought that the old shim placement may not matter,due to a new or different axle. I also heard the SST was costly. Is there a place to rent one ?

Yea, but if you had the ones from the replacement knuckles they would have been correct.

how do you figure? every casting would be a little unique. parts A and B can and will have many variables resulting in various shim packs.

no matter if you change your axle housing or the knuckle, if they are not paired for the original shim pack, most likely they will differ.

I was thinking the shims would vary with the different axle also.

PM dr_dobro. I rented his centering tool a couple of weeks ago. Daniel was a great guy to deal with, and the using the tool (and marlin inner axle seals) will give you peace of mind for a job done right. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thank You, I will give him a PM, Thanks to everyone for all the info.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom