knuckle parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 72 that the P.O. did the 79 mini truck disc brake conversion on. When I took it in to get the allignment done after replacing my TRE'S the guy said he could grab the drivers side wheel on the top and bottom and move it back and forth pretty bad so I should look at replacing whatever is worn in the knuckle. My question is do you replace the knuckle when you do the disc upgrade and if so what do I need to get to do a knuckle rebuild on her? Are there things that wear out more often on these things? Any ideas on where I can get parts for this or a rebuild kit would be great. Thanks

Marlin crawler has a beyutchin knuckle rebuild kit, not too pricey either. Good luck :grinpimp:

Unless something else is majorly fawked, it's just the trunion bearings. But with the effort required to replace them, it would be dumb not to replace all of the seals and gaskets along the way.

Just get a complete kit (with bearings) and dig in. Yes, the knuckle housing was replaced when the brake conversion was done, so the kit you need to buy is the one for the truck the knuckles came off of. Any reputable dealer will know exactly what you've got and be able to hook you up. I don't remember where I bought my last kit... Whoever had it on sale at the time I'm sure.

Might be your wheelbearings and or tie rod as well. I would put it on jackstands and check everything first before buying any parts. If they didn't change the tierod taper when they converted to Minitruck knuckles then the tie rod end might be bouncing around in it's hole causing the slop..

Ditto to tornqadoalleycruiser. Lift the wheel and see where the play is coming from. Dimes to dollars it's the wheel bearings which should not cost anything to fix yourself.

Get a complete disc brake knuckle kit (FA7590), the trunnion bearings are the same regardless of the housing you have, all the other parts will be the disc brakes matching your knuckles.

As others mentioned, wheel bearings could also be a culprit, worth having on hand before you tear the font end apart. :D

Trunnion bearings last along time in the stock configuration, but with bigger tires, backspaced wheels, etc... they seem to wear quicker.

Hope that helps...

could just be the bearings need adjusted, maybe PO didn't set it up right. i would rebuild the whole thing just so i knew what was going on. most kit's with bearings/felts/ect are around 200 bucks from any of the venders.

i got to get up there and see your truck/met you. you missed a good time a coal miner.

dave

ps. give me a ring if you need help 302-420-3047

Dave, I'm moving to Laurel, MD in August...

I hope to have my cruiser back together in time for the move. How close/far away are you from Laurel?

SuperDuperCruizer

bet ya your wheel bearings are loose...btw, cruiseroutfitters, who already posted here, has great prices on those kits and is a great guy to deal with :)

sweet. Thanks for all the info guys. I will check out cruieroutfitters also. It will probably be about a month before this gets tackled as I am just enjoying driving my cruiser for now. This thing has been sitting for months as I got her ready to drive. It seems like everytime I go and fix something I come across something else that needs work. Wonder if that will ever end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom