Knuckle parts order help with disc brake conversion plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help on where to place the conversion plate that holds the mini truck brake calipers on my knuckles. I believe i have it right but I need to make sure.

This is what I have:

Gasket
Spindle
Conversion plate
gasket
Oil seal

Next will come the hub etc...

I don't think I could put that conversion plate any other place because in this location everything has a gasket that needs it and all the plate does here is move the oil seal out a bit which shouldn't matter.

I can take pictures but wanted to see if I could get a quick reply.

Thanks!

Here are the parts I speak of:

20191015_172348.jpg

I have them in this order:
20191015_172415.jpg

Here’s a picture of my install
218AE950-71B0-4A65-8EB9-297C8667E612.jpeg

I think it’s front range off-road. It’s to use IFS hubs and upgrade to tundra calipers and rotors.

mini truck and FJ60 knuckle are the same. The mini truck calipers are the same except the groove for the disc is narrower because the
truck uses a non vented disc and the 60 is vented and slightly thicker. The ears on your knuckles are where the calipers bolt.
I don't know what that conversion bracket is. Maybe for a non stock style disc conversion?

Here’s more detail @lcwizard

So Tundra rather than Mini truck. In that case the assembly is probably correct. The spindle has to go on first
or it won't seat into the steering hub. is this kit for the 2012ish 4runner and tundra 13 1/2" rotors or the earlier
12 1/2" rotor? Stock 60 is 11.9". Do you have to run larger rims?

Thanks all. So it looks like I have ot on correct except for one thing, I did not switch my knuckles and so the old caliper brackets are probably in the way. DANG IT!

gt7058a, did you put the left knuckle on the right side and vice versa?

Thanks all. So it looks like I have ot on correct except for one thing, I did not switch my knuckles and so the old caliper brackets are probably in the way. DANG IT!

I think thats what needs to happen or cut the ears off not 100% on that i would call the manufacturer just to make sure you assemble it correctly and post more pics when your all done.

Yes, I swapped them so ears were out of the way.

@lcwizard I’m using 17” fj cruiser steel wheels. @Godwin did this upgrade and I think posted a pick with 16” 70 series steelies. I don’t think the 15” OEM wheels Have enough space inside to clear, but haven’t tried either.

I used napa rotors that would fit a 2006 tundra.

40C3D608-E961-4899-8870-E0C8F77ECCE4.jpeg

@CruiserMoose im using these brake lines from SOR. They’re 20” or so and do fine while turning.

08F9BDEF-8383-4217-9E53-EF845CD7267F.jpeg

So Tundra rather than Mini truck. In that case the assembly is probably correct. The spindle has to go on first
or it won't seat into the steering hub. is this kit for the 2012ish 4runner and tundra 13 1/2" rotors or the earlier
12 1/2" rotor? Stock 60 is 11.9". Do you have to run larger rims?
@lcwizard I’m using 17” fj cruiser steel wheels. @Godwin did this upgrade and I think posted a pick with 16” 70 series steelies. I don’t think the 15” OEM wheels Have enough space inside to clear, but haven’t tried either.

I used napa rotors that would fit a 2006 tundra.

View attachment 2108637

I'm not sure what exact year Tundra parts I have and I haven't measured the rotors but I think it's the 12 1/2" ones. I grabbed the rotors and calipers from a junk yard and when I ordered pads I went with those for 2005 but were too large. Pad for 2002 fit.

The 70 series 16" wheels fit without issue.

I'm not sure what exact year Tundra parts I have and I haven't measured the rotors but I think it's the 12 1/2" ones. I grabbed the rotors and calipers from a junk yard and when I ordered pads I went with those for 2005 but were too large. Pad for 2002 fit.

The 70 series 16" wheels fit without issue.
I was laying out parts to use the 2012 4runner discs, 13.3 x 1 .25 thick. I was hoping my 60 would stop someday. It's about
1000 lbs over stock before loading up for trips. I've had the IFS hubs for quite a while. Just haven't stopped recently to work on
the brakes. I think I'll need 17's, which is a shame since my MTR's have less than 10,000 on them. I'm curious how much fab work
I'll need to do on this. Hopefully I'll get to it over Christmas break. I always close down for two weeks about then

This has been great guys, thanks for all the comments, and thanks for the ideas on the brake lines, very helpful.

Here is the pic of it all done. Basically the same way, I just had to switch steering knuckles and now the stock brackets are in front and out of the way. Everything else lined up great and should work well. Now for the other side. I learn something new everyday!

Thanks again!
20191015_195009.jpg

This has been gone though. I did a thread on it and there is the original one I referenced:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom