knuckle job seal removal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I started the knuckle job and I've got everything removed and cleaned up on one side. Except for the seal that goes inside the axle at the most inboard part of the knuckle. (the one the birfield slides through) Anyway, I've had trouble getting that seal out and have been pulling it (no success) with the typical seal puller tool. Took some rubber out but the metal ring doesnt seem to want to move. its not corroded and I expected it to come out easily. Do i need the slide hammer type of seal puller or is there a trick i'm missing? Maybe someone with more experience can help me. I hate to keep yanking on this thing without asking.
Thx

Here's a pic of the progress. Its the smaller seal inside .

axle.jpg

Slide hammer should do it if typical seal puller is not working. Usually typical seal puller works well.

Seal puller has never failed me when popping the inner axle seal out.

Buy or make your own axle seal install tool as well:

1586875285810.png

From ih8mud:
1586875323442.png

PO may have used some kind of sealant on the outer surface of the seal. I've seen it a few times. The typical boomerang-shaped seal puller is awkward to use in the small ball housing. This kind of puller was much easier, with a mallet, or a slide hammer.

1586889431202.png

You'll have to mangle the old seal if it's glued in, but as noted, careful with the mounting surface, it's stepped. If you're using the Marlin seals, they come with a ring sealer for buggered surfaces.

1586888816764.png

heres one side. even the preload on the arm turned out good. gonna do both sides then put the hubs on last. and i went through the hub locks as well and couldn't resist painting those when the seals were off. of course I spent more time searching for the little bb's and springs I dropped than actually painting.

knuckle2.jpg

Any reason for mini truck hub colors? I'm a purist for the orange gold cruiser hub color.

@Spike Strip That looks like a handy tool to have on hand for weird situations like this, what's the proper name? I'd like one.

Harbor Freight has a cheap version of that puller that works just fine for like $5 on sale. FAIK it's only called a seal puller ?

regarding the mini truck hub colors, I agree its not original but I could not find anything that approximates the OE color . Please let me know if you are aware of some paint i could get to match OE color better. I would gladly do it over if i could get the paint to match OE without too much trouble.

I PC'd mine red....

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom