Knuckle fill location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it the square head threaded bolt in the picture? Just unscrew and put moly in it? Forgive my ignorance but I couldn't find pictures of the actual fill location on the search function, good directions though. The knuckle is starving for grease

IMG_20180619_100815327.jpg

IMG_20180619_100659802.jpg

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I prefer to fill/check the birf through the ABS sensor. Easier to see into knuckle through a 5/8" hole that a 1/4" hole. Also one bolt access.

For what it's worth, I prefer to fill/check the birf through the ABS sensor. Easier to see into knuckle through a 5/8" hole that a 1/4" hole. Also one bolt access.

Is that the ABS sensor just behind the fill plug on the knuckle? Looks like you'd need to remove a wheel to get a look in there? My truck doesn't have ABS, so I'm limited to the fill plug.

Is that the ABS sensor just behind the fill plug on the knuckle? Looks like you'd need to remove a wheel to get a look in there? My truck doesn't have ABS, so I'm limited to the fill plug.
Yes, dead top of the knuckle in front of the upper trunnion bearing. You would need to remove the tire to see into the birf. But that again, working on my car without taking a wheel off would be like having sex without unzipping my pants.

Or a ziplock bag with a little hole cut in the corner:

View attachment 1726215

I’d like it noted that I patented this procedure. :rofl:

Make sure to use the freezer bags as they are less likely to explode.

I’ve actually moved on to a masonry bag since it’s stronger. Still carry freezer bags in my truck for filling on the road.

A nitrile glove works as well, in a pinch. Scoop it up and pull it inside out. The. Squeeze it out through the pinky after you cut off the tip.

I bought a $12 grease gun at HF just for this purpose. The nozzle is offset and it is the handle squeeze-type, so I remove the plug, shove in the nozzle, and pump away until I think there's enough. The squeeze type trigger doesn't put out a lot with each pump, and I put in 100 pumps the last time I did it.

This is less messy than the Ziploc bag, and I get the benefit of improving my grip by doing this.

Don’t you want them lubed up though. So they don’t get pitted or rust?

Don’t you want them lubed up though. So they don’t get pitted or rust?

They are full just finished pressure washing a couple turns and the balls will be lubed. If you look at about 11 oclock you can see some old grease the pressure washer missed.:eek:
What is this thing called rust you talk about?:flipoff2:

Huh, you know, this is the first time I've seen this mentioned. I just thought people shove a ****load of grease in there when they do the front end service and it is good until next time. My knuckles are always pretty grimey and greasy so I don't think they're low but I'll have to pull that plug and check it out for good measure.

I've come to the conclusion I need to meet a local Chandler or Phoenix Mud member to point out all the stuff that needs to be done, I've owned it for a year and done all the stuff I can think of from owning countless other Toyotas but it seems the 80 has its own weird things that need to be checked as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom