Knuckle centering SST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would anyone be willing to lend/rent me the SST to center the knuckles on the axle? I bought later model knuckles, but they didn't come with the shims so I have to start over and would like to set it up right the first time.

Would anyone be willing to lend/rent me the SST to center the knuckles on the axle? I bought later model knuckles, but they didn't come with the shims so I have to start over and would like to set it up right the first time.

Not quite certain what you are asking...but if I undertand it corectly...you must have shims & it is OK to use your old ones if you have them. If not, they are still avaliable as a kit from Toyota. Once you have the shims..trail & error, repeat as needed to get proper pre-load.

Does this help ?

John

Is it possible to get the correct preload, but not have the knuckle centered?

In such a case, the axle oil seal wouldn't seal right.

I think that that was the case with mine, after a mini-truck disk swap (although the preload was high on the leaky side as well). The guys who did the work just installed the mini-truck knuckles, and didn't change shims.

Rocky

Is it possible to get the correct preload, but not have the knuckle centered?
Yes. The axle seals will fail sooner than they would if the knuckle is centered.

I think that that was the case with mine, after a mini-truck disk swap (although the preload was high on the leaky side as well). The guys who did the work just installed the mini-truck knuckles, and didn't change shims.
When they did your swap, the knuckle should have been be re-centered on the axle-housing. This may have required (and apparently did) more/less/different shims. It may not have, but they couldn't have known it was right unless they did the centering process, or until you brought your leaky axle back in for them to repair.

With a knuckle/overhaul/bearing replacement -- where the same knuckle will be re-mounted to the same axle housing -- it's usually safe to re-use the old shims, provided they were kept segregated as to how they were grouped when removed.

If you don't get any responses on the rental/borrow, this co sells them.

SPX Company, toyota.spx.com

good luck

Mr. Toad was kind enough to rent me his. He lives near me so I was able to meet him this evening an pick it up. Thanks for the quick response and offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom