Knuckle bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was talking today to a local (small time) rep for ARB and other stuff. He's a little disappointed that I'm holding off on my ARB lift (still trying to figure out which lift to get).

Anyway I also told him that I was doing my knuckle job myself (again he wanted that business but I wasn't going to let him do it anyway). ::)

What I question is his comment - he said that for the knuckle bearings I need to get the "special koyo" bearings that they made special for Toyota. And that Toyota has been playing with the taper on these to get them to last longer (mentioned 3 different parts over the years). I didn't want to tell him that I'm getting them from Dan "the man" and I'm confident that they will be the correct parts. But I am wondering if this guy has any truth to what he's talking about. Since bearings are all standard sizes I think he's full of it. ::)

I guess I'm just trying to determine his level of knowledge. It will be hard for him to compete with the sum of the all the knowledge available on this site. :D

So the question is - has the specs for the knuckle bearings on an 80 been changing over the past few years in attempt to improve the design? ???

I think not but just checking. Maybe he really meant get Koyo but then he said I can't even get them from Koyo. ::)

Any ideas?

Riley

The 75 series uses a different angle to the king pin bearing than the 80, and has one more roller in the cage.

I use the 75 bearings with larger tyres as they do seem to wear better, and allow you to use the offset cups to give neg camber and caster adjustments.

Koyo are the OEM for Toyota, so technically the ARB guy is corect, though I dont know the different types were used in 80 specific.

right or not I think the rep is on the right track, he did sudjest to use Koyo.....so he knows Cruisers IMOP, more than I could say for alot of other places. I don't think the bearings on 80's have changed but they might have, they are always working on impoving stuff. THe changed from a brass bushing to a roller bushing at some point, as the roller is better.

Sound to me like this guy might kust be alright and is just trying to steer you the right way.

John

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=2;threadid=5088;start=msg39155#msg39155 date=1063068185]
The 75 series uses a different angle to the king pin bearing than the 80, and has one more roller in the cage.

I use the 75 bearings with larger tyres as they do seem to wear better, and allow you to use the offset cups to give neg camber and caster adjustments.

Koyo are the OEM for Toyota, so technically the ARB guy is corect, though I dont know the different types were used in 80 specific.
[/quote]

Darren.................... :flipoff2: your driving a Prada.....whoops Prado now ??? WTF?

you liking them Oddessys? I just put a 1200mjt in my fj40, will be adding a 2nd one once I make a bigger tray. Got 2 dead Optima YT......now more of them POS! Exide or Oddessy for me from now on

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

hey it's been a while :D

John H

Riley,

I can't speak to the 75 series bearings as we don't get a chance to see those vehicles in the U.S. I can tell you that the 80 series (in the US) uses the same bearings for all years and I do not recall any number changes. I can further tell you that they are different than the 40/55/60/62 trunion bearings, both in size and taper. The toyota OEM bearings that I have access to are Koyos.
I suppose that the 3 different bearings the fellow mentioned could be 40/55/60/62, 75, and 80 series. That is, of course, just a wild guess.

Dan.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=5088;start=msg39173#msg39173 date=1063071930]
Darren.................... :flipoff2: your driving a Prada.....whoops Prado now ??? WTF?

you liking them Oddessys? I just put a 1200mjt in my fj40, will be adding a 2nd one once I make a bigger tray. Got 2 dead Optima YT......now more of them POS! Exide or Oddessy for me from now on

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

hey it's been a while :D

John H
[/quote]

You got that bloody shed up yet Mr Holmaas, and how is that 40 series xmas tree :flipoff2:

Yep, driving the pramry [half prado/half camry :D] great tourer, and a surprise in the bush, need a new bush pig for the hard stuff.

I also killed 2 x optima POS and love the oddyseys.

troopy-lightforce.jpg

I thought I would include an image of my 78 series, you guys dont get, with 100 front coil end and 1500mm long rear leaves with the 165kw 4.5 same as the 100.

Mine wa son 36x13/16 TSLs on 10" rims with just an ARB ift, and 10mm [yes 10mm]body lift and rear bumpstops on the front.

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=2;threadid=5088;start=msg39196#msg39196 date=1063074523]
Mine wa son 36x13/16 TSLs on 10" rims with just an ARB ift, and 10mm [yes 10mm]body lift and rear bumpstops on the front.[/quote]

Don't matter what you had shedboy, as you are now almost a car driving magician. Next we'll likely hear about you hugging some trees (may be a good thing considering what you hug now :flipoff2:).

You should have sent that 78 over here where it would be treated properly. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=5088;start=msg39203#msg39203 date=1063074872]
You should have sent that 78 over here where it would be treated properly. [/quote]

Sorry junk, 7_ series dont make good mall cruisers, and are hard to get in with your netball skirt on, better to stick to your current soccer mum car dude. :flipoff2:

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=2;threadid=5088;start=msg39196#msg39196 date=1063074523]
You got that bloody shed up yet Mr Holmaas, and how is that 40 series xmas tree :flipoff2:

Yep, driving the pramry [half prado/half camry :D] great tourer, and a surprise in the bush, need a new bush pig for the hard stuff.

I also killed 2 x optima POS and love the oddyseys.

troopy-lightforce.jpg

I thought I would include an image of my 78 series, you guys dont get, with 100 front coil end and 1500mm long rear leaves with the 165kw 4.5 same as the 100.

Mine wa son 36x13/16 TSLs on 10" rims with just an ARB ift, and 10mm [yes 10mm]body lift and rear bumpstops on the front.
[/quote]

THe shed.......yes I have some new blue tarps :)

40 xmas tree.......did not get lit up last xmas.......but I did :D It's been joined by a sweet matching pair of 82 fj40's this year(these are my pride and joy at this time) a mint 72 El Camino (or ute to you)with 26,000 original miles, a beater Cheby truck w/hydo lift gate(for moving Cruiser parts) and a few other Cruisers here and there......been kinda busy ;)

you said bush.........ummmmm bush :D

for some reason I thought you sold the 78, glad ya didn't I LOVE that rig.\

I have a set of those 240 Lightforces, found em new at the swap meet for $75 for the pair.......them are a BIG and BRIGHT light.......but too big to put on any of my rigs :(

Gotta admit the touring/mall Cruiser sounds good, kinda looking for a 100 series......thats the best we get over here :(

isn't the 105(solid axle 100) the same as a 80 series front end? or did they go to 5 lug on every CRuiser from 98+

and just for good measure :flipoff2:

I did sell the 78, because of the 2 door design you tended to pack rear heavy, and it picked up front wheels all the time.

And yes all 100 series went 5 stud, the 100 and the 105 as well as the 7_ series.

The prapoo has 100 series brakes, but 6 stud wheels ??? has the 100 gearbox, with full time 4wd hilux transfer case.

post-37-1059546660.gif

The prapoo has 100 series brakes, but 6 stud wheels has the 100 gearbox, with full time 4wd hilux transfer case.
Isn't the Low Range Ratios different? - I thought that the Prados was 2.65:1 or is that only for the 120 Series and the Hilux is 2.3:1(somthing like that)?

G&#039:Day JF, yep the pramry is a lower ratio than the lux, and constant 4wd, but same basic case etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom