knuckle bearing race - replace or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the middle of my first axle redo. I've printed and read the FAQ's and other threads (as it turns out, not very well).

I just realized I didn't pound out the outer races of the existing knuckle bearings. FAQ says "You need to remove the trunion bearings and the races located on the top and bottom of the inner knuckle" and shows a picture, but I missed it.

I put NEW bearings in the EXISTING outer races. I've installed my knuckle housing (4 bottom nuts, 2 top bolts). I'm ready to torque everything to spec.

I have NOT checked the pre-load. I have NOT installed the new Birfield yet.

Should I undo it and replace the existing races or will the existing races be fine?

Thanks,

BURBIS

In general, you NEVER want to use old races with new bearings. Nobody but you will know if the existing races will be fine. How closely did you inspect them? The issue is that the knuckle bearings and races bear the full weight of the vehicle and take a lot of abuse. They also tend to develop a "wear spot" in the straight-ahead position 'cause that is where they spend most of their time and that's where the force will be when you hit a pot hole at 50 MPH.

The only way that I would *not* replace the races at this stage would be if I had CLOSELY inspected the races when the knuckle bearings were removed and found them to be virtually perfect; top and bottom. If that were the case and I was in a hurry to finish the job then I might take a chance and move on.

Replace is the best course of action in your case.

-B-

As far as bearing races went while doing the front axle... These were some of the easier ones. Just be REAL patient and only tap the high side.

2x replace

Using old races with new bearings is like taking a shower and then putting your dirty shorts back on.

Going in to replace them now. Was hoping for a "its just a dad-gummed ring of metal, leave it in!" But, you guys make sense.

REPLACE IT IS!

BURBIS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom