Knuckle Bearing Preload Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

batthewmrown

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm in the middle of doing knuckles. I stopped shy of putting the axle shaft back in and packing it full of grease because the preload on my knuckle bearings is high, roughly 22 lbs. Now, it seemed like the preload was fairly high when I took them apart, but I didn't measure it at the time, so I can't confirm. I know all the shims (one thin shim up top, one thick one on the bottom) are in their original location. I'm leaning toward putting it back together and running it as is, since it seems as though this is how it's been for the past decade since knuckles were last done, but I'm just looking for some input from the peanut gallery regarding what you would do in my situation. Thanks!

If they're not Toyota's genuine bearing it's possible that they're not exactly the same dimension.
If they are Toyota's bearings - slap it back together.

If they're not Toyota's genuine bearing it's possible that they're not exactly the same dimension.
If they are Toyota's bearings - slap it back together.
They're the Koyo bearings included in Cruiser Outfitters' knuckle kit.

This video was helpful for me.

I did however had to re-torque the wheel bearings a month later, I had play that was causing some highway speed shudder. After opening things back up they were in there pretty loose. Its been perfect ever since, no play and the hub is not getting hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom