Knuckle bearing installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oakley40

SILVER Star
Threads
I am installing new knuckle bearings and I'm having problems with the lower bearing sliding on to the bearing cap. The bearing slides on the steering arm cap nicely, but not the lower cap. I wire wheeled the cap to smooth any burs, but I still can't get it on without forcing it.

Is it okay to tap it (on the inner race) in place?
P3270109.jpg
P3270108.jpg

put the knuckle on the axle w/ bearings in their races,top and bottom,then tighten the caps,the bearing should slide onto the shaft

Technically, the bearings are not supposed to be a ‘slip-fit’ on the trunnion pin of the steering arm or lower knuckle cap; they were a ‘press-fit’ from the factory.

:meh:

There's a tool for that. Essentially, the tool holds the bearing in place and uses the bottom cap and steering arm as presses as you tighten the stud nuts. Like Poser said, it's a press fit.

Another knuckle question....

Thanks for the help guy's. I appreciate it.

Another issue...I'm slowly (very) putting on 60 series knuckles on my 40 and I don't have enough outer axel showing to put the c-clip on. I tried putting a screw in then end and pulling on it, but no dice... still not enough. Any ideas??

Another issue...I'm slowly (very) putting on 60 series knuckles on my 40 and I don't have enough outer axel showing to put the c-clip on. I tried putting a screw in then end and pulling on it, but no dice... still not enough. Any ideas??

Pictures...

What lock outs have you installed?

The lockouts are Aisian's. I'll post up some pics when I get home.

Can't get the outer c-clip on....

So here are some pics of the Aisian hub and how much shaft I can get pulled out. Like I mentioned above, I put an eye bolt on the end of the shaft to try to pull it out, but this is about all I got.

Any help would be appreciated!!
P3280107.jpg
P3280111.jpg
P3280109.jpg

Bump for help!

Which birfields are you using? Without pulling some birfields from inventory to check, I believe the 60 series are a bit longer than the 40 series.

Bridge something over the lockout housing, and run a bolt down the threads. The bolt will pull the birf out a little, and get you the space you need.

Which birfields are you using? Without pulling some birfields from inventory to check, I believe the 60 series are a bit longer than the 40 series.

The earlier 40/55 series disc brake axle outers were longer 08/75-12/78.

In 01/79, they all became the same length; 40/55/60/62/solid axle min truck.

Just curious here. What changed in 01/79? The length of the axle shaft?

subscribed....
I'm curious about the solution, as I think I may have the same issue with a pair of Aisins I have.

I heard that leaving the snap ring out isn't a big deal, but it doesn't make sense.

I have some fj60 birfs sitting in the garage if you want to check the difference. Also I am local, in Oakley also.

Hi All:

For using Warn lock-outs with the 1979-89 Birfields they supply a bolt and fender washer since the snap ring can't be inserted.

But, those look like the post '70 short Aisin lock-outs in the photos posted, so this should not be a concern!

If you don't locate the Birfield at the hub end the shifting back and forth of the CV joint and inner axle shaft will prematurely wear-out the axle seal.

Regards,

Alan

subscribed....
I'm curious about the solution, as I think I may have the same issue with a pair of Aisins I have.

I heard that leaving the snap ring out isn't a big deal, but it doesn't make sense.

play with the driveshaft,and see if it wiggles out enough to get the ring on.just a thought

Maybe I was thinking about the coarse spline birfields, which are shorter than the later fine spline birfields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom