1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knuckle bearing cage stuck on steering arm

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by nuclearlemon, Mar 20, 2004.

1. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    got the front end tore down on the wagon, but whoever serviced it last must not have had enough shims in the steering arm because when i pulled it out, the bearing peeled apart (or, may have been apart to begin with) leaving the inner section of the bearing cage stuck on the arm (i can only guess it was too tight because i've done it before...i still have another arm with the same part stuck on). anybody know how to get that off without damaging the steering arm.

on a funnier side, whoever serviced it must have done it because the felts were leaking...instead of new felts, they coated the inside of the felts in silicone

2. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

how about using some heat to expand it, or split it open

3. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

I've had success removing the bearing race by clamping the arm in a vise and then tapping the race off the arm with a chisel. You could also clamp the race itself in the vise jaws and then tapping on the "pin" of the arm; driving the arm out of the race so to speak. You might also be able to sneak a bearing splitter between the race and the arm and press the arm out of the race.

HTH,
    Nick Jennings

4. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

actually, throw it in the freezer overnight.

It should contract and come loose. Worth a try and cant hurt anything

5. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    What?! You mean I'm not the only one.

6. sherwood

sherwood

For bearings or inner portions of bearings stuck on shafts, I like to use the dremel (type) tool with a cutoff wheel.

Of course you must be careful not to cut into the shaft/axle part. Gently cut into the offending part enough, and you can just tap on it with something and it will fall apart.

Hold your dremel (type) tool like holding a knife to peel a carrot or something. Grasp it firmly near the working end. Folks tend to go through those fragile little cutoff wheels like six-packs of (name your liquid). You must maintain "control" of that spinning wheel. Holding the tool in the middle or near the cord end just won't work. Work in a straight line. A slight twist in the axis of cutting is death to a cutoff wheel. I brace my hand by placing my thumb, as an anchor, on the shaft or on the vise that you have the shaft clamped into.

(Eye protection please, and protect other parts from flying metal dust particles)

(quick photo just for illustration of method)

john

7. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    thanks for all the suggestions...i did a combination of heat and chisel and it came righot off. unforunately, i waited until i got it off of the tie rod to try everything and getting off the tie rod took the most time...tomorrow i will be checking around for aftermarket tre boots. :-\

8. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll give Klunky Chris the door prize. Ice cold, I clamped the bearing in the vise and gave the arm a few twists. Schazam, it's off. Thanks.