Knuckle assistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just finishing up side one of my knuckle rebuild/4runner caliper/tie rod end project. However, there is not enough of the spindle sticking out to put the lock ring on. It is close, but I can't even see the groove.

The preload was just out of spec (around 8 lbs) but I just chocked it up to a crappy fish scale. There is no play in the hub.

The only thing I can think of (besides a midnight brain fart - which is the most likely culprit) is that I replaced the bearings, but kept the races since they were in really good shape.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On a side note - after getting into the knuckles, it is clear they had already been rebuilt by the PO. Bearings looked good, seal was good. I guess I should be happy, but had I known I certainly would have put off this job for awhile. Oh well - it's a learning experience.

Yeah I'm the first one to answer: Thread an 8 x 1.25 bolt into the end of the axel so you can pull it out.

There is a threaded hole in the end of the birfield. Did you thread a bolt in the end then pull the birf & axle outboard? Sometimes it just needs to be pulled out a little. (too late. Ih8wood beat me to it!)

I have heard it is not good practice to replace bearings without replacing the races. Different bearings (from different) manufacturers may have a different taper angle. Also, the bearing tend to mate or lap into the races.

Beat me to it! x2 on thread a bolt in and pull.

Maybe I should thread a bolt onto it and pull it out . . .

Thanks guys!

That bolt will have to wait until tomorrow - I'm going to bed.

I have heard it is not good practice to replace bearings without replacing the races. Different bearings (from different) manufacturers may have a different taper angle. Also, the bearing tend to mate or lap into the races.

I wondered about that. Maybe if I get inspired tomorrow (I mean today :frown:) I'll pop off those races. But the way I'm feeling right now, I don't see it happening.

I wondered about that. Maybe if I get inspired tomorrow (I mean today :frown:) I'll pop off those races. But the way I'm feeling right now, I don't see it happening.

When I did my front end re-build I forgot to replace one of the races. I took apart the front end a few weeks ago (less than 3,000 miles later) and that bearing fell to pieces as it was removed. Might be a good idea to replace the races. Not much fun, but a good idea.

I rebuilt my front axel on the 60 earlier in the year. After the
cleaning of all the parts and the drama of the tear-down, I wanted to skip the race replacement. One of the guys from
MarlinCrawler was at the wrenching weekend, and he pursuaded
me to replace them. I'm glad I did.

It's easy and gives the new bearings a good chance of going another 140k.

It was already said replace the races but you can use the old one to tap in the one:)

and you can pull the back seal by butting the hub/rotor unit back on but do not put the front wheel bearing in ...instead use one of the locking nuts ......screw one on a few turns then grab the rotor and pull toward you in one quick jerk...the seal should fall out fairly clean....better than trying to pry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom