Knuckle Alignment Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dc75nm

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone. I'm new to the cruiser life; just purchased a 76' 40 a few weeks ago from TX.

When braking it was pulling hard to one side. After some investigation I found that one of the brake rotors was caked with grease. I cleaned it all up and now the braking is as expected. However, little droplets of grease are beginning to appear around the inside of the wheel again. Soooo, time to rebuild the hubs, knuckles, etc. I purchased all the parts yesterday but learned I'll need Toyota's knuckle alignment tool. Does anyone know where I could rent one? Or maybe purchase for a reasonable price? Borrow for free would be the best but I didn't want to be the new guy who comes on here asking for things right away. Hahaha....

I do it the wrong way. When I take it apart I measure the thickness of the shims and see if there is a difference between top and bottom. Then on reassembly I just make sure the difference is the same with the new shims.

I was tempted to do it the "wrong way" too but the amount of time required to do the job, I didn't want to potentially have to redo the job prematurely. I'm not experienced with any of this so not sure what the odds of having a bad install due to doing the "wrong way", is. ALSO, I don't know the history of the vehicle so for all I know the previous owner(s) may have done this incorrectly already.

Is there anyway to know if the existing knuckle centering is good?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the cruiser life; just purchased a 76' 40 a few weeks ago from TX.

When braking it was pulling hard to one side. After some investigation I found that one of the brake rotors was caked with grease. I cleaned it all up and now the braking is as expected. However, little droplets of grease are beginning to appear around the inside of the wheel again. Soooo, time to rebuild the hubs, knuckles, etc. I purchased all the parts yesterday but learned I'll need Toyota's knuckle alignment tool. Does anyone know where I could rent one? Or maybe purchase for a reasonable price? Borrow for free would be the best but I didn't want to be the new guy who comes on here asking for things right away. Hahaha....
Welcome to the 'Hood!! Feel free to start a new thread showing off your new to you cruiser. 👍

So I decided to just pull the trigger on the tool. Found a knock off for $120 but shipping from AUS was $50. Still about half the price vs a real Toyota one. I figure if it saves me from having to do this again, money well spent.

If anyone would like to take it for a spin, let me know. The tool I mean. :)

Ok... So the aussie centering tool arrived and I spent the past weekend rebuilding knuckles and replacing wheel bearings. Glad I got the tool because, as it turned out, the previous job was done incorrectly; top and bottom shims were swapped on the passenger side.

Anyway, the offer is still out there. If anyone in the Albuquerque area would like to borrow the tool, let me know. Also picked up a digital caliper to aid with the job.

I would be cool with that. PM me so we can workout details.

Had my first customer; fliphkd778. He seemed please and threw me a $20 which was greatly appreciated.

The tool is back on the shelf and awaiting it's next adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom