Known 2F problems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.imagestation.com
What are the most commonly known problems in the 2F? Is it possible to get a better flowing oil pump for them? Sorry for the newbie questions, I am a newbie :p

do you mean an F engine? There is an F engine which was known for oiling problems and the 2F was introduced I think somewhere in the 1975 production year to address the oiling issue. If you have an F engine problems are generaly solved with a chevy V8. Just kiding! Kind of. If you have an F engine the general consensus would be to loose it in favor of a massaged 2F or a chevy fuel injected V8. But there are still plenty of people nursing the old F engine along. Not a real bad engine but not an especialy good one either. The 2F is actually a great engine and of course so is the chevy V8. Does this help?

yeah .I am putting a 383TBI in mine. I have a buddy who is falling inline with me and getting a FJ also. He wants to keep the factory drive line and run the 2F taht thte FJ is equip. with. How would he massage the 2F? Any specific companies you can list? Thanks for the info so far, it really does help.

[quote author=axlechassis link=board=1;threadid=4073;start=0#msg30066 date=1059876757]But there are still plenty of people nursing the old F engine along. Not a real bad engine but not an especialy good one either. [/quote]
Like me :D
However, there is really no difference between the later F's and the 2F other than the larger displacement of the 2F. Its just the really early F's that unless you are restoring your cruiser to original specs, are best to be either upgraded or traded for a 2F or later F.

[quote author=fr8train link=board=1;threadid=4073;start=0#msg30070 date=1059878532]
yeah .I am putting a 383TBI in mine. I have a buddy who is falling inline with me and getting a FJ also. He wants to keep the factory drive line and run the 2F taht thte FJ is equip. with. How would he massage the 2F? Any specific companies you can list? Thanks for the info so far, it really does help.
[/quote]
My recommendation would be to run the 2F like it is until it needs a rebuild, and then go all out on it.
Heres how he would go all out:
TBI a la Mike Smythe: http://www.iei.net/~msmythe/TBI/tbi_info.htm
HEI-check out tech section
Bore block-check your local machine shop
Get some good pistons
High-performance cam
exhaust headers-www.sor.com (most of the others leak, ie Man-a-fre)
While we are on the topic of "massaging" a 2F-
my uncle mentioned a company that would let you put 3 seperate 2 barrel carbs on the old Chevy 235 inline six, a derivative of the engine our F/2F engines are modelled after. I wonder if this would work on a f/2f? Three aisins would be pretty damn cool. Although this is more of a high-speed type mod, not a low end torque off-road mod, it would be cool regardless.

Guys thanks for the great links and tips. tripple carb setup would be cool. one more question, since their arent any places like Jegs or summit avail for cruuiser parts, what is there?

Wear out what you've got. You can rebuild it or replace it at a later date. In the mean time, see if you can arrange to take a test drive in one with a V8. You might like it. I know I could never go back.

I have been running a V-8 (several different smallblocks, all hand me downs:327,305,350....) since '83 when Hammerhead helped me finish my first conversion. I agree with him. Wear out what you have, take a test drive, and/or save and collect what you need for V-8 conversion. Any smallblock I've had in mine is preferable(my opinion) to the 2F mine came with. Even the worn out 305,or, the worn out 350 I'm running now. I flat towed Hammerhead's '74 FJ to Moab this year so we could keep each other company. With 4 kids in the back and all our camping gear stuffed in/on the '74 we pulled 70mph+ on anything that didn't have too much upgrade. He seldom even drives his that fast, and he has a new motor. His out-chugs my poor old motor, but mine hauls ass. I run away on the highway. My motor came out of an old Montecarlo that Hammerhead bought, upside down in a creek. ::)
Some Quadrajets are better than others. Mine sucks, no pun :mad: TBI motors are nice, but pricey. The main benefit to a small-block over an F/2F is the price for parts is not based on whatever the gold standard is on the day you're buying.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=4073;start=0#msg30073 date=1059880807]
Like me :D
However, there is really no difference between the later F's and the 2F other than the larger displacement of the 2F. Its just the really early F's that unless you are restoring your cruiser to original specs, are best to be either upgraded or traded for a 2F or later F.
[/quote]

EEH! Wrong. The F and 2F, beside the difference in displacement, have a number of other differences, not to mention block castings, improved cooling and oil flow, different head designs, different pistons, crank, etc, etc... I could go on and on. if you're talking about the 74 model F, well, the difference become blurred as the 74 was the crossover year, but they're still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom