Knowing little about the FZJ80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie on the thread -

Looking at 97 FZJ80 in Santa Fe and it has 285 / 16's on it - what tire comes stock? Is it lifted?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...transmission=Automatic&max_price=&cardist=236

The lady does not know if it has been lifted - she just bought it like this (second owner) from Beaver Toyota.

Trying to get a feel for this 80...

Talked her down to $13k...

Highway miles between her home in Moreno Ca and Santa Fe...

cruiser definitely looks lifted, it must be a mild 2"-3" lift, most likely old man emu lift, a stock 80 looks like a freakin lowrider, :rolleyes:

It's got atleast the 2.5" heavy lift. I think if it had the 2.5" medium lift the front would stink bug more with the ARB. I also know my rear medium's start to lower with the spare on and jump seats in. Who knows maybe it has Downey springs. But it does have a lift.

Lockers?? I like the color combo I found one just like in a '97 collectors but I had to pass because the ugly gray interior.

285/75/16 will fit a stock fzj80, but that does look lifted a few inches, it appears to have a rear tire carrier bumper (~$2k) and an $800 ARB front bumper, ~$800 OME lift (probably), if it is in good condition, it could be quite a deal!

To answer your original question I believe the stock tire size was 275/70/16, which is relatively rare, I think many tire shops replace them with 265/75/16 for unknowing customers, searching for OEM equivalent replacements.

I don't think that's a fair price! The bumper is a non-winch ARB $615 and the lift is $750 or just under. I think the market right now is in VERY poor shape, look in here on the for sale section. Everybody has a Cruiser posted, then 20 people talking about what a good deal it is and not one of them buying it. I paid $10,800 for mine 6 months ago with 106k and lockers and feel like I paid too much. I just bought a 1995 with lockers for $5,000 and I think that was far more fair. Buy on eBay as sellers are just way out of line on these right now. Keep looking and if you're in AZ give me a call, I'd be more then happy to help.

Nice looking rig but a little on the high side as far as price goes.

Thanks for all the comments -

She did not know anything about it -

Think I better saddle-up the 40 and make the drive over -

I kinda thought it was lifted...but knowing little about 80 series trucks...thought I would ask.

All the service was done at Beaver Toyota from oil changes to filter changes because the lady does not know anything about trucks - so...hopefully that is a reputable dealership and they do good work...I would think considering the clientelle they would.

Santa Fe is a tough Market, You have a lot of well to do people that live there. Cost of living is high and so is fuel. The car lots and owners will sell cruisers rather on the high side because people with money seem to pay the sometime ridiculus high asking price for a cruiser in santa fe. Good luck on the truck. look over the radiator and fluid, along the head gasket seam, look to see if the Axle service has been done, not just the wheel bearing (120k miles it was time for a axle service). The rear bumper I can not tell if it is a slee or not, picture is not the best nor did I see a rear shot.

I find it a bit strange that the woman ends up having a lifted Cruiser with front and rear bumpers and knows nothing about them :confused: Not trying to be a spoiler, just exercise caution.

As far as price, I would say it seems a little on the steep side given the current state of Cruiser prices.

Best of luck ..... bottom line is if you are comfortable with it, it doesnt matter what we think ;)

looks more like a Kaymar rear bumper to me

Bear80 said:
Is that a swing away rear tire carrier on it? Because if it is and it's got the stock bumper then it's most likely a product of Slee. If it is then I would guess the springs would be OME. And after looking at it closer I say it's got the 863 rears and 850J's up front, sets to level for the heavies.

Do you think i should have it gone over at the local Beaver Toyota dealership?

The lady bought it off the lot equipped - because she thought it looked cool - I agree and I am skeptical..she is second owner and I verified that through the vin...

VIN: JT3HJ85J3V0182935
Year: 1997
Make: Toyota
Model: Land Cruiser
Style/Body: 4 Door Utility
Engine: 4.5L I-6 EFI
Country of Assembly: Japan

She also said the truck had some round switch to the left of the steering wheel -

freightdog said:
She also said the truck had some round switch to the left of the steering wheel -

that's good news for you

Edmunds.com says THIS I guessed on many options and color - adjust accordingly
Picture-1.jpg

She said it said something about DIFF - it was almost funny asking questions to this lady! Of course that means that has never been used - hopefully it still works -

desertdude said:
that's good news for you

Edmunds.com says THIS I guessed on many options and color - adjust accordingly

Cool - did the KBB and NADA - all similar = we need to work her down a bit...

It does look lifted. Cdan should be able to pull mfg codes from the vin and tell you if it's got factory lockers.

It does look lifted. Rear bumper may be a Kaymar. From the fuzzy pic, the rear quarter and spindle resemble my Kaymar. It very well could be a Slee. Either way, nice.

Big thanks to Pyro Boy -

The 80 is locked -

had the 90,000 mile full service -

multiple oil changes -

Has the ARB non/winch in front

Kaymar bolt/on in back...

Not wheeled - driven by a lady.

has had some electrical issues - repaired at the dealership

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom