1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knocking ???

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by UGA LEE, Feb 27, 2007.

1. UGA LEE

UGA LEE

This morning on the way to the doctor my 85 fj60 started making a loud chattering sound,like a fan on the shroud. I know it is in the front area of the motor. This morning when I started it the power steering was bone dry. It has been leaking bad for acouple months. Waiting for uncle sams refund. I hope it is the bearing in the PS pump. What do yall think? I dont think its the motor. Oil preasure it good, no smoke, not running hot. just makling alot of noise.

2. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    change the pump.give her a full tuneup.but ive never heard a power steering knock.change and get back to us

3. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Before swapping any components ,remove the belts and run for a short time.If there is no noise it maybe the PS pump or water pump an alternator or a bushes in the aircon if you have it.

4. UGA LEE

UGA LEE

I thought of that but wont have time till later. IT has a new water pump/smog pump/alternator. But with the way the PS pump is leaking Thats what Im leaning tword. It was making a little whineing sound the last coouple days.

5. UGA LEE

UGA LEE

6. orangefj45

orangefj45 Supporting Vendor

is the smog pump locked up?

7. UGA LEE

UGA LEE

I just put a new aftermarket one on in october. Just read some old threads on PS leaks killing smog pumps though. got me wonderin I,ll check in the morning. I pulled the ac belt and ps belt and it still sounded terrrible. but it starts right up and runs great just real loud clattering.

8. John McVicker

John McVicker SILVER Star

Nah...bet not. With the info you gave in your original post I would agree with Orange: smog pump. Remove that belt & see what happens. You won't have power steering.

Good luck, John

9. UGA LEE

UGA LEE

you're never gonna beleive it. Water pump pulley broke. Any body got one?? Just saved about 3K.