Knocking noise after oil change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
196 K miles, baselined, timing belt changed 15 k miles ago, new DENSO coils at the same time. Never overheated at least during my 3 years of ownership.

I changed oil with Valvoline 5-30 and Toyota Filter from Walmart and after pouring in 7.2 qts and letting it run for 2-3 minutes I checed the oil level and all good. I then restarted it to check for oil leaks and I heard a deep knock. Probably bad news but I am hoping for a miracle.
I swapped the oil and filter (OEM) with new oil (Mobil1 ) after the first oil change and it did not change anything.

I had a huge trip planned next week. My first trip to the west and then this happened.

I wish it would have happened on a trail at least I would have a story to tell.

Ideas: Source a used motor and DIY the swap, sell the LX as is, part out but I don't have place or expertise to do that.

Engine running w/o serpentine belt in the clip.

Do you still have the walmart/toyota oil filter? I don't know oil filter anatomy or how it could've caused a problem, but I'd think it could be examined by someone knowledgeable to figure out if there was an issue that blocked oil flow. I can't think of any other reason an oil change could've caused that. Either that, or it was present before and you just weren't listening pre-oil change, or you dropped something somewhere that could block an oil passageway.
If the filter was verified to be the problem though, maybe you could fight to get some reimbursement.

So before your oil change you didn't have that noise?

Have you increased the RPMs at all? Perhaps an oil way has drained and it needs higher pressure to re-fill and start doing its job.
Well, I drove it 200 miles after the second oil change, had to get back home. Some of those miles were in a mountainous area. I drove around 70-75 mph and pushed it a little in the mountain as well. The noise level is pretty much the same.

Do you still have the walmart/toyota oil filter? I don't know oil filter anatomy or how it could've caused a problem, but I'd think it could be examined by someone knowledgeable to figure out if there was an issue that blocked oil flow. I can't think of any other reason an oil change could've caused that. Either that, or it was present before and you just weren't listening pre-oil change, or you dropped something somewhere that could block an oil passageway.
If the filter was verified to be the problem though, maybe you could fight to get some reimbursement.
I still have the filter, and the receipt for it as well. However, I doubt it was present before because I was checking the compressor couple of days ago. I had my scope and this noise is so distinct that I would have heard it. I was thinking if it was present before why would it increase after fresh oil.
I ran the oil change scenario couple of times in my head and I cannot remember dropping anything in. Unless something dropped in from the hood while I was under it or not looking.
Do you know who would be able to inspect the filter?

So before your oil change you didn't have that noise?
I doubt it was there, I was checking my AC couple of days ago with a scope. I was going to work on my AC after the oil change but that has to wait now.

I doubt it was there, I was checking my AC couple of days ago with a scope. I was going to work on my AC after the oil change but that has to wait now.
Gotcha, call me crazy but I didn't think the noise sounded that bad. Kind of sounds like my motor on a cold morning. Maybe it sounds worse in person? I can hear that deep chugging / sort of knocking noise but not sure how bad it is.

I doubt the oil filter was clogged and if it was I think you would have bigger issues on your hand and you would have noticed it when you did your 2-3 minute running after the oil change.

Gotcha, call me crazy but I didn't think the noise sounded that bad. Kind of sounds like my motor on a cold morning. Maybe it sounds worse in person? I can hear that deep chugging / sort of knocking noise but not sure how bad it is.

I doubt the oil filter was clogged and if it was I think you would have bigger issues on your hand and you would have noticed it when you did your 2-3 minute running after the oil change.

Do you think it would be safe to drive to CO, and UT next week? I was so excited to take this road trip sort of only planned vacation after 10 year of struggling with jobs, graduate school, and not able to find time with 3 kids.

So do you have a OBD Scanner? Might be worthwhile to grab one and do a general health check to see if anything looks amiss.
Honestly from the video I don't hear anything that would sound like a knock. A knock is a very significant sound, if anything reattach the serpentine belt and see if it comes back then as that could indicate there is an issue with a pulley, bearing or other accessory.

Do you think it would be safe to drive to CO, and UT next week? I was so excited to take this road trip sort of only planned vacation after 10 year of struggling with jobs, graduate school, and not able to find time with 3 kids.
I wouldn't want to say yes based on just that video. Knocking is generally caused by only a few things, I doubt this is engine / rod knock but maybe something else going on?
>>6 Causes Of Knocking Sound From The Engine | Capitol Toyota Car Care - https://www.captoyota.com/service/information/learn-the-common-causes-for-engine-noise-knocking-salem-or.htm

Perhaps this is not a new noise but you are now noticing it, Are you under the hood often listening? I always thought the 2UZ ( at least on my rig ) sounds a bit "chuggy" and it used to worry me but 220k miles later it's still running strong.

I would get a second ear/stethoscope on it and see what they think, possibly a mechanic that's heard a lot of knocks from similar engines. We can't really tell much from a video. It can sound like a horrible knock on a computer and in reality be a tiny vacuum or exhaust leak.

So do you have a OBD Scanner? Might be worthwhile to grab one and do a general health check to see if anything looks amiss.
Honestly from the video I don't hear anything that would sound like a knock. A knock is a very significant sound, if anything reattach the serpentine belt and see if it comes back then as that could indicate there is an issue with a pulley, bearing or other accessory.
I have OBD and tech-stream, nothing is showing up on the scan gauge but I can dive a little deeper. I peeked inside the belt cover and the belt looked intact as well.

I wouldn't want to say yes based on just that video. Knocking is generally caused by only a few things, I doubt this is engine / rod knock but maybe something else going on?
>>6 Causes Of Knocking Sound From The Engine | Capitol Toyota Car Care - https://www.captoyota.com/service/information/learn-the-common-causes-for-engine-noise-knocking-salem-or.htm

Perhaps this is not a new noise but you are now noticing it, Are you under the hood often listening? I always thought the 2UZ ( at least on my rig ) sounds a bit "chuggy" and it used to worry me but 220k miles later it's still running strong.
I agree I am not under the hood all the time. In this case I was in the hood 3-4 days ago couple of times with a buddy of mine trying to check for AC leaks and Compressor noise.

Hopefully in my case it is the same. It keeps on running strong.

I have OBD and tech-stream, nothing is showing up on the scan gauge but I can dive a little deeper. I peeked inside the belt cover and the belt looked intact as well.
What if you test it in park, increase the RPMS to around 2200. Does the noise get better, worse, stay the same? Not that it means much but how about the oil pressure gauge on dash, does that increase to a little over half at these rpms?

I would get a second ear/stethoscope on it and see what they think, possibly a mechanic that's heard a lot of knocks from similar engines. We can't really tell much from a video. It can sound like a horrible knock on a computer and in reality be a tiny vacuum or exhaust leak.
Yeah, I was able to find someone locally that can take a look at it next Wed, if they say it is nothing I might take the trip or else it is cancelled. Very hard to find a good mechanic when you need one especially when you do everything your self and don't have any long term relationship with them.

Yeah, I was able to find someone locally that can take a look at it next Wed, if they say it is nothing I might take the trip or else it is cancelled. Very hard to find a good mechanic when you need one especially when you do everything your self and don't have any long term relationship with them.
How about Toyota, do you have a service center nearby? May be worth the half hour labor to get them to give you a clean bill of health.

Don't cancel your trip yet....

You mentioned the AC compressor was replaced? Any chance something didn't get torqued down and that could be knocking around? Look at your belt see if you see any wobbling happening and maybe just reach down with everything shutdown and see if there is any play in fan clutch, ac, etc.

How about your exhaust manifold, any chance those bolts are broken, missing?

It's hard to tell from the video. Your injectors sound way louder on the video than they are in person, that would make me believe the knocking sound isn't as loud in person. If you drove it 200 miles the knock would be considerably worse. Once rod bearings start to go they go pretty quick.

Jim

How about Toyota, do you have a service center nearby? May be worth the half hour labor to get them to give you a clean bill of health.

Don't cancel your trip yet....

You mentioned the AC compressor was replaced? Any chance something didn't get torqued down and that could be knocking around? Look at your belt see if you see any wobbling happening and maybe just reach down with everything shutdown and see if there is any play in fan clutch, ac, etc.

How about your exhaust manifold, any chance those bolts are broken, missing?
I did call Toyota but they cannot get me in before 1st July, I have scheduled a diagnosis check with Lexus that is 130 miles away, nearest one that can get me in on Monday. It will also be like a yes maybe it gets worse before I get there or maybe it stays the same and they can check it out.

I was going to replace the compressor but after I hearing this noise I did not tear into that project.

It's hard to tell from the video. Your injectors sound way louder on the video than they are in person, that would make me believe the knocking sound isn't as loud in person. If you drove it 200 miles the knock would be considerably worse. Once rod bearings start to go they go pretty quick.

Jim

Yeah, my dad has a 1997 Prado and he recently blew his engine because of the rod knock. It all happened pretty quickly within 40-50 miles and his engine died.

Mine is nothing like that, I cannot even hear the noise inside the cabin. What worries me is that my wife for the 1st time ever said that yeah she can also hear it, so it is there but where is it coming for lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom