Knock Thud debug (video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
So a more pronounced thud appeared last week. Started worrying me as I thought maybe it was my tie rods and nobody wants to lose a tie rod when they're driving.

Here is a video of knocking during sharp turning:

My rods are a little loose.... is this travel per design?

Looking below, it looks like the leafs are separating and it is causing the knock... I can't imagine it would be anything else. tried to tighten the clamp but didn't really help... what keeps these guys together like they are on the starboard side

another angle

Looks like your tie rod end is making contact with the knuckle. Maybe too much play in tie rod ends. Also you may consider
adjusting your steering stops.
:beer:

Everything seems normal. The springs can clunk like that especially after they get wet

Thanks. It's been raining the past couple of days and it did get worse when it rained. I did read somewhere that the EMU leafs tend to do that, but not one fix, just tightening and greasing the bushings. Also, I'm assuming Moly in the bushings?

Looks like your tie rod end is making contact with the knuckle. Maybe too much play in tie rod ends. Also you may consider
adjusting your steering stops.
Now you got me thinking if it really does touch the knuckle. I'll have to check today as some of my other videos aren't conclusive either.

The other reason the tie rods are turning is due to the added torque on them at the extreme position, however I'm just wondering if they should move that much so suddenly. But this is the only LC I have so nothing else to compare hence I'm throwing it out there.

The tie rods are ball joints. They're supposed to rock a bit.

I have the same issue. Clunks once in a while when dry, but as soon as the ground gets wet, she clunks on almost every turn and weight shift. Happens in the rear a little too(but thats personal). Bothers the heck outta me but its not an issue. I have tried and tried but never get conclusive video evidence no matter what I try.

Here is a reason why you shouldn't assume you have a bad tie rod when your wheel jiggles.

That there seems a little squirrelly. Maybe your spindle nut(s) have backed off? Trunion Bearings trashed? Do you have Factory Service Manual (FSM)? it may be time to dig into your knuckles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom