Knock or normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought this 1997 LX450 from a dealership on the east coast. Had it shipped to my house across the country and it just arrived. Everything checks out except one thing, does this sound like the engine is knocking? This is my first 1FZ and I have no experience with them or how the should sound.

Before anyone asks, yes I did get sent a lot of pictures and videos of the truck before I bought it. However, I couldn’t hear this sound in any of the videos I was sent. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a power steering vane gear issue which may affect the other gears spinning with it. Might want to take the power steering pump off for a visual check or start with no belts first. Any kind of nick on these gears will create this type of noise.

Sounds like a power steering vane gear issue which may affect the other gears spinning with it. Might want to take the power steering pump off for a visual check or start with no belts first. Any kind of nick on these gears will create this type of noise.
Okay, thank you. So if I took the belt that goes to the power steering pump off then it would go away? If it was that issue.

Okay, thank you. So if I took the belt that goes to the power steering pump off then it would go away? If it was that issue.

The power steering pump on the LX-450 is a gear driven pump. There are other belts and idler pulleys that can be potential problems so removing all the belts to test can be very helpful in determining the source of the noise.

Last edited:
The power steering pump on the LX-450 is a gear driven driven pump. There are other belts and idler pulleys that can be potential problems so removing all the belts to test can be very helpful in determining the source of the noise.
The engine will start if I take off all of the belts? (Alternator etc)? Sorry I’m still kind of new working on my own stuff, but I’m learning as I go.

The engine will start if I take off all of the belts? (Alternator etc)? Sorry I’m still kind of new working on my own stuff, but I’m learning as I go.
Yes. And if the knock is there without the belts on, probably engine trouble. If the knock is gone, look at power steering and water pump.

How many miles and any maintenance records? Hate to say it, but to me that sounds like an engine issue.

Just realized the maintenance records say that the ps pump was replaced back in October. Not to say that it couldn’t be that but just wanted to mention that. I’ve also noticed it only sounds that way once it’s warmed up.

Just realized the maintenance records say that the ps pump was replaced back in October. Not to say that it couldn’t be that but just wanted to mention that. I’ve also noticed it only sounds that way once it’s warmed up.
I'll bet money that's it.

I would start there. The nick in the teeth is VERY tiny and makes horrendous noise.

The only other things that make that kind of noise is a bad main or rod bearing and a shot wrist pin in a piston.

Start with cheap and easy.

Thank you guys. I’ll take all the belts off tomorrow and post back.
The belts have NO EFFECT on the PS pump. It is gear driven and is bolted to the back of the oil pump housing. Left side of engine block below and in front of the oil filter. You will need to crush washers to reinstall the hoses and you may consider replacing the hoses there if they are leaking or anything.

Get an FSM and read up on what you need to do. Don't just assume.

The belts have NO EFFECT on the PS pump. It is gear driven and is bolted to the back of the oil pump housing. Left side of engine block below and in front of the oil filter. You will need to crush washers to reinstall the hoses and you may consider replacing the hoses there if they are leaking or anything.

Get an FSM and read up on what you need to do. Don't just assume.
Okay thank you. So are you saying I should just replace the PS pump? I will order a fsm.

Okay thank you. So are you saying I should just replace the PS pump? I will order a fsm.
No, not replace the pump. It's not the "pump" that makes the noise. It's the drive gear that is attached to the pump. Someone nicked the teeth on the drive gear, then installed it and now it makes significant noise on the teeth of the MATING gear that is part of the Oil Pump assembly.

Pull it out, inspect the gear, GENTLY and CAREFULLY file the bad spots and hipe you got it right. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a NEW gear and install it without damaging it.

Do a search on here for PS pump gear or power steering pump gear. Look a the pics of the damaged ones. You can hardly tell there's a nick.

No, not replace the pump. It's not the "pump" that makes the noise. It's the drive gear that is attached to the pump. Someone nicked the teeth on the drive gear, then installed it and now it makes significant noise on the teeth of the MATING gear that is part of the Oil Pump assembly.

Pull it out, inspect the gear, GENTLY and CAREFULLY file the bad spots and hipe you got it right. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a NEW gear and install it without damaging it.

Do a search on here for PS pump gear or power steering pump gear. Look a the pics of the damaged ones. You can hardly tell there's a nick.
Correct, you will need to pull the power steering pump and see if the noise is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom