knock knock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, i have an important trip planned for tommorow and now i'm hearing a knocking noise. i believe it's from the smog pump. i tightened the belt to it as it appeared slightly loose and it got much worse. engine idle actually surges a little when it's happening.

i put a long screw driver against the smog pump and it definately feels like it's coming from there.

question...is it a bad idea to drive it on this trip about 120 miles? do they go out slowly? does something really bad happen when they do?

also should i replace it or could it be a fixable problem?

i also noticed some reddish oily residue pasted all over the front of the power stearing pump and pulley.

what a bummer!

any help would be greatly appreciated.

my smog pump did not gradually die. it just instantly siezed, making the belt smoke, and a horrible sqeal. it was not fun. however, i was able to take it off, and just take out the siezed "guts", and then just stick it back on, it took maybe 2 hrs or so to do. Since I don't have to smog my car, i have just left the "dummy smog pump" on. it has been almost a year now, and there have been no probelems at all. It seems to have a bit more power as well.

When a piece inside the pump breaks, it frequently jams the pump as described above. I wouldn't leave for a trip with the thing clunking. I don't know if you're up to swapping or gutting a pump, but I'd fix it first.

I personally don't go for the "leaky steering pump killed the smog pump" theory - especially if the pump is leaking just a bit. If the fluid level isn't dropping fast in the steering pump, don't worry about it. Get an $80 rebuilt smog pump from the local parts dealer. NAPA may be a bit lower risk than than Checker/Autoquest etc. I like to peek inside and grease the bearings before installing a rebuilt air pump. I've had two that were missing one of the three vanes. You can bet the output on those junkers is minimal, probalby not enough to pass a smog test if you have to. Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks

the sound has gone from a knock to "hey there's a handful of rocks in my pump" kind of sound.

breaking down with my mom on the side of the road would totally suck.

a rebuild kit! good call.

this might explain why i can't pass a smog test now though. it's been chirpn for a while. replaced everything in the emissions system except this pump.

guess we're riding in the f250 with the ladder rack:)

thanks again

at this rate every component in my 60 will have been replaced or fixed in 3 months! talk about bugs.

thank goodness for this site.

bigbrown said:
at this rate every component in my 60 will have been replaced or fixed in 3 months! talk about bugs.

thank goodness for this site.

that sounds about par for the course.... :D
hey, at least you'll have a "new" rig by the time you get done with it, good for another 20 years I'd say.

-db-

Same thing happened to my pump. NEver fully seized but started ticking then sounded a bit like a rock tumbler. took it out and there were bent metal strip rattling aroudn in side. I emptied it into the trash and swapped it back in. those hoses were a huge pain in the Blank by the way. I used big pipe pliers.

Don't take a trip with it like that. The pully also runs your water pump and if a siezed smog pump burned out your belt on the road you could do some serious long term damage.

BTW...have a good time with your Mommy! :flipoff2:

great

oh great, kick a brutha when he's down!

i'm parking it til i fix it.

damn, why did i say mommy?

If your pump seizes on the road, there's a good "limp home" fix: take off all the belts and use the AC belt to run the water pump and alternator off the crank. I ran it for a few months like that, no problem (of course, you have no AC or power steering or smog pump running, but that's okay, ain't it?).

Jman said:
If your pump seizes on the road, there's a good "limp home" fix: take off all the belts and use the AC belt to run the water pump and alternator off the crank. I ran it for a few months like that, no problem (of course, you have no AC or power steering or smog pump running, but that's okay, ain't it?).

I did this fix on the side of the freeway when my smog pump siezed. Worked great. It's wierd that the AC belt fits as the main belt...almost like MrT was looking out for us...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom