Knock and Power Loss, any suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a cruiser(fj40) that developed a very loud knock and then lost power. The price seems right but I am wondering if there is any chance that the engine is still good or is this a sure sign that it will need to either be rebuilt or replaced. Any thoughts would be appreciated,

HS

I am going to go look at this thing again this afternoon, any suggestions on the engine would be greatly appreciated.

Drum

I would go with the assumption that the engine is badly broke. But don't let that discourage you.
Use it as a bargaining point, "These engines can cost $5000 to rebuild, so I'll give you$200 for the truck as-is." Then scrounge up a good used engine, change the manifold gasket, tune it up and drop it in.

That's what I'd do, maybe.

He wants $2900 for it which I did not think was terribly bad, the interior is above avg and the exterior has some minor dings that have bondo but its not too bad, I have a friend thats a body guy going with me to check it out this evening. The wiring and everything under the hood looks good and the top has never been off of this thing, It looks like a really good base truck for a build. Its a 78 model and I have been looking for a 76 or newer. I could always drop a 350 in it, I can get a crate engine for about $1500 out here. I dont know, lots of possibilities.

What does it cost for a basic rebuild on a 2F? I guess thats the next thing I will be looking at if I decide to buy this thing.

Drum

I think it would be tough to do a full rebuild for less than $2000 even if you do most of the work.

Please dont drop a 350 into it......IMO

does it have any mods done to it? If it a solid truck, besides the engine, then i would venture to say that is a decent price, not a great price, but a decent price. That said - I would still use the engine noise to your advantage and tell him the engins is toast and wil need a rebuild. Is there any oil on the ground?

If do get the truck, get a good used engine and drop it in. You can find them anywhere from $500 on.

There is no oil on the ground and I could tell that the engine has not been cleaned and there was no major oil leaks. I did a search and found that there is something that will sound horrible in these 2F engines that can be fixed by dropping the oil pan and replacing a few parts, I am hoping that this might be the problem but we will see. Thanks for the replies....

Drum

ok just somthing iv come across with another fj40 the knock and ping could be the timing and i say this because i know of 2 fj40 that the timing gear lower had a press fit islation rubber that as it softened with time the timing would move .NOW im not say this is you problem but woth looking at?

buy the way i have an 82 2f engine complete if interested i live in pa.

Bring it up to Amarillo. We'll check the timing, what type of distributor and carb, and do a compression check on it. A 'very loud knock' could be a lot of things; like main bearings etc. I know just enough to be dangerous. But I have worked on tuning my 2F for days on end in the last year and know them pretty well. Self diagnosed and solved a bad "knock" problem. 78 is a great year, with 2f, fine spline axles but still 4.11 (exclusive to 78), front disc brakes, all very desireable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom