Knife sharpeners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What knife sharpeners do you like? Currently I’m using a fine file, a course stone and an Arkansas stone. What do you use?

Work Sharp powered knife sharpener. I have the Lansky system and multiple stones but nothing gets a quicker razor sharp edge like the Work Sharp. I can sharpen every knife in my house from a dull edge to razor sharpness in less than an hour. I use a leather strop afterwards to polish the edge and to get that final little bit of added sharpness.

I have the Wicked Edge diamond and ceramic system with fixed positioning etc. It gives extremely sharp knives, but is very time consuming to use -at least the way I used it so far. When first reestablishing an edge on a knife that was sharpened some other way, I have spent something like an hour per knife. But admittedly I have limited experience with it. It is also very expensive. So I would not recommend it to somebody just starting out with serious sharpening. I'm pretty sure one can get close in results with much less money and time. But for me with that one, it's a zen thing where I work on my favorite knife, get into it and forget everything else for a while.

Spyderco sharpmaker. I have 2 one for the house and one for the camper.

I used wet stones for years, also have a work sharp belt and a Lansky. I use the sharpmaker 99%of the time now.

x2 on spiderco sharpmaker.

This is my go to...easy, fast, long lasting (until the Mrs. starts cutting concrete blocks with my knives...:rolleyes:

I've had several and upped a few years ago to the Wicked Edge (Pro version). Once you've gotten beyond the learning curve, same for most products, its fast and very capable; even sharpened a buddy's ceramic knife. But long knives (10"+) need to be sharpened in halves by repositioning...not a big deal.

And I use a Work Sharp for less expensive knives...but if you're not careful you'll be replacing knives more often due to lost metal (learning curve again). And its, IMHO, not the tool for forged knives with thick heels. Tried the Ken Onion version but sent it back...

Spyderco sharpmaker. I have 2 one for the house and one for the camper.

I used wet stones for years, also have a work sharp belt and a Lansky. I use the sharpmaker 99%of the time now.
Me too. Thing works great and for those of us who just want a sharp edge, this does the trick.

I tend to use a classic chef steel to straighten the edge, and when necessary the tried and true three wet-stone method. I'm not a fan of anything that has the potential to remove a lot of steel from the blade itself.

I think the trick with this is to have a system that controls the angles repeatably. If so, after the first gross reshaping, that may indeed take off a bunch of metal, you can then resharpen with very little loss of metal. But if instead you just guess at the angles each time you do it, to get the blade sharp you will need to remove metal much more often.

Japanese waterstones. Long learning curve (as in years) but IMHO nothing gives a finer edge faster. Plus can handle wood working tools like plane blades.

Tormek. Bought it for all the work tools ( chisels, planes, etc.) . Expensive for only doing a few knives, and there are a bunch of different jigs for different applications, but the results are consistent and very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom