Knewstance 1998 Restoration/Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work... $3k for a running LC 100, can't beat that. I also have been scrubbing the hell out of the 100 I just picked up for cheap, nothing beats a clean interior :smokin:

All those wrinkles will be out of those seats after sitting in the summer sun for some months... Great job!

Hey did you get a center console cover from LSeat? Or somewhere else... I had to get mine on Ebay~ $30 or so... Close match with color.

Hey did you get a center console cover from LSeat? Or somewhere else... I had to get mine on Ebay~ $30 or so... Close match with color.
I got a center console cover from Lseat but it is about 4" too wide. My old one wasn't bad so if I can't figure out a way to make this one work from them, I will just put my old one back on.

IMG_20180912_230727.jpg

I've been super busy this past month. Not that anything will change, but I finally found some time to pick up a set of tires. 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure. Not exactly what I wanted but they should be good for a while. They are about a 2" change. BTW, 5 tires + 4 wheels + 3 passengers makes for a very tight fit in the 100!

I'll get them mounted up here in the next week or so. Also ordered a couple more lift parts, only missing front shocks and some new bushings. That should be a project coming in the next month.

IMG_20181006_011613.jpg

IMG_20181006_012332.jpg

IMG_20181006_011553.jpg

We were able to take a maiden voyage today. I definitely know that I need to replace a few bushings while I'm in there for the lift. Overall the 100 did a great job! I think I kept it in pwr ect, 1st gear, and 4hi for most of the climbing. 4lo was more torque than I needed in more of my situations today.

IMG_20181012_171705.jpg

Those seats look great! Mine are in a similar condition and are similarly driving me crazy. Was there a thread or video you used as a guide? I can turn a wrench but have zero experience with upholstery

Those seats look great! Mine are in a similar condition and are similarly driving me crazy. Was there a thread or video you used as a guide? I can turn a wrench but have zero experience with upholstery
Just seeing this now @TorchRedTulsan , sorry for the slow response! I also had zero experience with upholstery when I started. There aren't really any in-depth guides. I did watch a video from a guy doing a miata seat that I found on youtube just to get the idea, but it is actually pretty straight forward. Fairly time consuming though. I'd say it probably took a total of 10 hours or so to do both front seats.

Really my best guide was just doing one piece at a time and putting them on in the same manner that they came off. If you can wrench, you can do it! I'm happy to answer any questions as you go, it's still pretty fresh in my mine.

@TEXAS 57 's build thread was my inspiration for the seats (and many other things)
I happened upon a 100 Series 4 month build

Semi-helpful miata re-upholstery video: youtube.com/watch?v=_mi1HVCnRv0&t=870s - basically just learned how to use hog rings in this video. I bought a hog ring plier kit off amazon for about $20. It did what I needed it to do.

So I didn't have quite the same fun this weekend that I did last weekend. During all of the rough roads of last weekend, I tolerated a continuous clanking coming from my rear left wheel/axle area. I would occasionally hear it going over speed bumps (<3 2 mall crawl) and I assumed the culprit was my rear sway bar end links. The bushings were pretty much shot - go figure for 300k miles...

Anyways, spent some time on my back and replaced all of the bushings on the rear sway bar. Feels much tighter going around corners now. But the mysterious clanking is still there. I'll be inspecting skid plates and reading FAQs a little more deeply to diagnose/fix this issue.

IMG_20181020_210400.jpg

I ordered these end links from Amazon rather than OEM because they included all of the hardware and new end links for only about $7 more total so I said why not... Big mistake. The end links were about 1 inch shorter and the bushings didn't seem to be the same quality as OEM. I'm sure they will be fine for many miles going forward, but lesson learned.

IMG_20181020_175312.jpg

Ordered my last few parts for the lift this week, so that should be going on in the next week or so when I can find a hand to help with the install.

Thanks @knewstance I was quoted $600 by my local upholstery shop just for the install if I supplied the leather. I have $20 for pliers and spare time. Looks like it's time to learn something new
Awesome! Just yank out that passenger seat and get to work! I'm here to answer questions along the way.

Working on the lift install this weekend. Got part way through one shock and decided that I would have a lot easier time if I had the ratcheting flex head 22mm wrench. I'll get the Trail Tailor diff drop installrd tomorrow then everything else once the wrench gets here.

My little helper even knows where the center caps go!

IMG_20181220_183915.jpg

31I5EJ9iqDL._AC_SY400_.jpg

IMG_20181220_220133.jpg

Installed the other front shock and Trail Tailor diff drop tonight. Completion of the lift is approaching!

What a mess... I had to fight with the top nut on both of the shocks. Ended up pulling out the upper bushings piece by piece to release the tension on the nut. Otherwise, my vise grips would just spin free on the shock body when I started trying to turn the nut. This method ended up pretty well vs the alternatives of torching or a nut splitter!

IMG_20181223_011423.jpg

IMG_20181223_011459.jpg

Yeah I never order any auto parts from Amazon anymore unless I know 100% it's correct.

Can't tell you how many times I've ordered stuff and it was wrong/incompatible, last time was a Subaru head gasket kit, Amazon clearly said it was for an 06 Legacy but when I got it I found out it was actually for an 05 which are different.

So yeah pretty much just tires and oil filters from them now.

Yeah I never order any auto parts from Amazon anymore unless I know 100% it's correct.

Can't tell you how many times I've ordered stuff and it was wrong/incompatible, last time was a Subaru head gasket kit, Amazon clearly said it was for an 06 Legacy but when I got it I found out it was actually for an 05 which are different.

So yeah pretty much just tires and oil filters from them now.
Luckily they have a good return policy! The seller offered a return when I stated how short they were but the big issue is that I didn't find out until I laid them next to each other on the bench. I wasn't about to put the old stuff back on at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom