Kncukle Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have FJ-40 disks from a 76 w/ the small bolt knuckles and I am looking to upgrade to the large pattern knuckles with 4x4 Labs Highsteer.

My question is: Will any of the large pattern knuckles swap in (mini truck, fj-60, etc...) with out eny problem or will I have to cange the spindles or anything else?

I know 4x4 Labs makes arms for the small pattern but I figured that as long as I was polishing I might as well make it shine as much as I can.

Also If anyone has any spare knucles that you would be willing to part with please let me know.

Thanks

John Smith said:
... You also will be able to run the larger minitruck birfs without grinding the knuckle....

Hmm? you will still need to open up the ball a bit with a grinder...
grind.jpg

Pic taken from the Tech pages :D

I am already runing Longs but in order to swap to the large pattern high steer i was under the impression that all i needed was the large petern knuckles and everthing else would swap over.

71-CRUISER said: ...I was under the impression that all i needed was the large petern knuckles and everthing else would swap over.
I think you're on track (especially since your housings apparently already accomodate the larger birfs, per cruiseroutfit), but don't forget to align the new knuckles on the axle housing (or you'll never figure out why you have so much 90wt/MolyGrease combo in--and leaking out of--your knuckles)

i would like a little more info on this also ,if you get minni truck knuckle do you swap over everything to minni truck stuff . including rotor spindle birf .etc. or do you just need the knuckle and use all your cruiser stuff . i have two complete front axles .with small patern . but would like larger bolt pattern also . so i guess the question is do i just need the larger knuckle .. and still use all the cruiser stuff . fj40 . birfs ,spindle, hub ,vented rotor ,caliper . or does this not work . ??? a lttle confused . can you mix and match the parts ???? i would like 4x4 labs high steer also . do i really need to upgrade the knuckles . or can i just put the knuckle stub upgrade kit in and use the 4x4 lab high steer arms for the small patern ????

go with the big pattern steering arms and knuckles common sense can tell you why they are stronger! you dont want to rip one apart like woody did a while back!!

i used 83 bj 60 parts for mine (72 fj40 housing) every thing from the knuckle to the hub was used. I also used the birfs I left out the dust shield for the rotor cuz it was sooo rusted. install is easy just get a full knuckle rebuild while your at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom