klunking sound from the suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had the axle U-bolts make a klunking sound when making turns (with a locker) or going over rocks and/or curbs? This starts happening to me in the back and the front axles every 6 months or so and I have to loosen the U-bolts, clean the axle under them, put on WD40, and re-tighten. I'm sick of the sound and doing this all the time.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to resolve it... permenently!

Thanks, Scott

BTW: I think the suspension is a 3" Rancho (sucks!!!) and a shackle reversal.

I torque them when they are installed. I then take the truck out for a while and run it. When I come back I torque them again. Most times they have stretched a bit. I check them again with the torque wrench a few days later. If they are loose when I check them again, it is something that I continue to do until I do not find them loose. After they are tight, it is something that I check when I do a post or pre-run inspection.

Good luck!

-Steve

My truck used to do that badly around turns and bumps. It turned out to be the shackles. I dont know how far you tear into it when you pull it apart but it might be something to think about.

Mine make all kinds of klunks, moans, groans, etc! I took 'em apart two years ago and cleaned them up, added a leaf and slapped them back on with new bushings and stuff, too. I retorqued the u-bolts after a couple hundred miles and they were pretty loose, so I check them from time to time still (now that I think about it, my noises might be all the busted spring clamps, or that bent tie rod, or ... :eek: ). Sitting in the garage is a brand-new pair of Beltons I'm trying to find the time to install. That should help.

nial

xjnation said:
My truck used to do that badly around turns and bumps. It turned out to be the shackles. I dont know how far you tear into it when you pull it apart but it might be something to think about.

I hadn't done anything with the shackles but I thought about it. They haven't been lubed in 5 some-odd years.

Thanks, Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom