Klune V to gain Drivetrain length?

tonkota

Anyone have experience with these little boxes? I'd really like to add more length to my front driveshaft on my SOA Pig.

Other thoughts?

350/SM465/NP205 is what it will be.

woody

unhelpful spotter
Staff member
Admin

IMO, do slightly more than just a Klune (which, personally, I'm not a huge fan of, having seen a few busted parts in them...)

Keep the 350....and the SM465...and run a Marlin doubler with stock gears to a minitruck back case. You'll save quite a bit of weight (that 205 is HEAVY) and keep the centered rear output, plus get a better initial low.

If you are running an offset rear diff, then swap in a split case from the 60/62 series with the Marlin in the middle. That was one of my initial choices...

How long is your front shaft now? Mine main shafts are both ~26" (front is 2-piece, first section is 13", 2nd is 26")

tornadoalleycruiser

SILVER Star

how bout the 465-203-205 then.. If not the marlin. (I'm biased, have 2 marlins)
or for weight. .Toybox to minicase?

Woody, I am not breaking the 4:1 Klune in front of my 205 with my idiotic 350hp style of driving, so I think they are fine. Then again I have an automatic in front of it too.

The only failures I have heard of from Klunes was on the bad batch of input shafts.

Ed

Waggoner5

SILVER Star

I have a Klune between my 502 and the Toyota Tcase and have 0 problems. My truck makes 540 ft.lbs. I wanted it for the extra gears and to lengthen my drivetrain also. It did both perfectly.
G

woody

unhelpful spotter
Staff member
Admin

Rock Taxi said:
The only failures I have heard of from Klunes was on the bad batch of input shafts.

Ed
likely the culprit then, knowing the sources of the breaks.....install issue is also a likely issue...lol

Gumby

Supamod
Staff member
s-Moderator

Why not run a 203/205 doubler? I have a 203/toyota case (wish it were the split case i have on the bench) and my driveshafts on my SOA pig are the same length, 26" extended.

tonkota

Gay?

Well, I am using the 205 because it was nearly free, it's 10 spline, so to do the doubler thing, I would have to upgrade right?

Maybe I'm just worried about nothing as far as length of driveshaft in the front? Damn, I wish I had more time to work on this thing to really see what will be happening.

Thanks for the input.

wngrog said:
Klunes are gay.
Nolen, we don't make fun of how you look, so lay off my one bit o bling.

Besides, it still saved me a pretty penny over going with an Atlas and for anyone who does not have offroad adhd like you, they are ok for use. ;)

Ed

Gumby

Supamod
Staff member
s-Moderator

tonkota said:
Gay?

Well, I am using the 205 because it was nearly free, it's 10 spline, so to do the doubler thing, I would have to upgrade right?
I think most kits are for the 32 spine only. ORS has a kit to convert yours, but it's 200 bones. Kinda kills the "free" aspect. Also ORS has been jerkin' my buddy around for 6 months on an adapter they said they could get, consequently, his truck has been taking up space in my shop collecting dust. I'm not too happy with ORD lately :mad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom