Kline's Radiator Rehab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
Threads
So my radiator developed a leak on the top tank. I had some time during my vacation to get it fixed. I'm Georgetown at the moment, so I knew I could find a shop to fix it in Austin at least.

Called a few places, one stopped rebuilding them because it was more expensive than new. And the second place I called wanted $350 if I brought the LC in. Then I called back and said "What if I just bring you the radiator?" "$125"

TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS TO PULL A RADIATOR!

So anyway I pulled the radiator in a few hours, and brought it to "Radiator King and Muffler King" on S Lamar in Austin. Took them about three hours to clean it, "rod it out", re-attach the top tank and paint it (albeit a crappy paint job). Don't really care about that. Just needs to not leak.

Went home, got it back in, and drove it 40 mins or so. Runs a little cooler than before, a few bubbles working their way out. Will be good soon.

Photos are next: Dirty radiator, the leak, my coolant, and some radiator-less engine bay shots.

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg

rad3.jpg

rad4.jpg

rad5.jpg

More photos:

The workspace at my girlfriends parents house. Pretty frickin sweet.

The rehab'd radiator

Installed photos. I used "Frost King" foam from Home Depot. 3/4" wide, 7/16" thick. Could be a little thicker along the top tank, but it seems to work well down the sides.

rad7.jpg

rad9.jpg

rad10.jpg

rad11.jpg

rad12.jpg

And DONE

Happy Landcruiser

And about the previous coolant, I hadn't used distilled water (kill me I know). This time I did, and I used ethylene-glycol O'Reilly's green coolant and distilled water from HEB.

And now I must go. Going to Schlitterbahn today!

PS- the ARB is a great parts and tools holder. Reason #8236 to get one.

:beer:

rad13.jpg

Lol, 11 pics of a radiator R&R! Gotta love it, Alex!
Cool spot to wrench for sure, what's up with the ramps, is that to get onto the concrete or?

Hey. Someone might need 11 pics!

You can drive onto the ramps from the concrete slab and then have easy access for most fluid changes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom