Kitchen boxes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
My wife has set up a nifty kitchen box that slides into my rear drawer system. It has a Coleman white gas stove, pots n' pans, utensils, coffee pot, ETC. I don't have a pic to post but the whole thing comes out and you can carry it around with you. I would be interested to hear of others that have made cook boxes and how they manage with them.

Dan.

Hmmm...got any design plans for that cookbox? How big is it, how heavy is it, and what did you fab it from? It would come in handy since I just picked up some island water-access-only property on a lake in the Adironkacks and it will be "difficult" to get the Scamp over there ;)

Tom

[quote author=Scamper link=board=14;threadid=5825;start=msg46478#msg46478 date=1065008421]
Hmmm...got any design plans for that cookbox? How big is it, how heavy is it, and what did you fab it from? It would come in handy since I just picked up some island water-access-only property on a lake in the Adironkacks and it will be "difficult" to get the Scamp over there ;)

Tom
[/quote]

Just curious, but what does insurance run on a piece of island property.

Scamp, don't know if it will be to big, but Boy Scouts has a basic plan for what's called a patrol box that can be fab'ed from one piece of 4x8 plywood. Do a search for Patrol Box on any search engine and you'll find basic drawings. With a couple of 2x4's you also have legs.

Chris--insurance costs nuttin since it's just land. I'll be tenting it for a while until I build a cabin. I suppose I'll have to look into liability insurance though just in case some yahoo decides to kill or injure himself while trespassing on my property. Can't imagine that would cost much.

Brent--I had seen some of the boy scount boxes a while back. But I was hoping for something lightweight. The boxes I've seen were pretty big and looked heavy, but they were probably designed for the whole troop. But I'll take your advice and look around. Maybe I can find one that suites my needs.

Tom

I went the lazy way.
picked up a rubbermaid action packer about 24" by 36" has room that way for my cofee pot dishes some dry food and a little rubbermaid box for doing dishes. if I squeeze I can get my cast iron griddle and frying pan in there as well. I like it cause with my dog kennel in the back of the 80 and this next to it it makes a nice even load for the rest of my gear.
Dave

Scamp,

Yea, they are pretty heavy, especially when loaded with cookware, etc. They are typically used by patrols which can be 8-12 boys. If you find a better design, let me know. One of our troops four patrol boxes is falling apart and we now need a fifth one. Kinda hoping to find a little better design, but every search I've ever done always comes back with this tried and true design.

Good Luck!

Mine is contained in one of those Rubbermaid under-the-bed storage boxes. it is about 20 in wide by 40 in long by 7 in tall. It is on wheels and opens from both ends like a pickup truck tool box. I have a box in the rear of the 80 that holds two of these slide-outs. The other has recovery gear in it.

C-Dan,

We'd all like to see pics of your setup if possible...

Jody.

I'm using my gandpas portable lab. He was a minerologist and used it to carry his equipment and chemicals. It has different sized and shaped compartments and the front folds down to form a preperation surface. It now contains everything needed for camp cooking except the groceries. Oh yeah, the Dutch ovens don't fit but they're heavy enough by themselves.

I want PICS! I have 2 med size (24" x 18" x 18") blk plastic boxes I got at the container store. They will hold all the plates, coffey cups, pot, condements etc... The dutch oven and 2 cast iron pots just travel wherever they fit.

do a search for camping kitchens. I cant find the website but it is somthing like "blue sky" they have nice stuff.

Here's one. I need to get a shot of the contents, but you get the drift. The container that is slid out is the recovery side. The kitchen lives in the left hand side.

do you need 3 hands when parked nose uphill, one to drop the tailgate, and one for each box to stop them rolling out?

Nope,

There be a door on the back of the box that has "been removed for photographic purposes" :D

How do you secure the whole box in there??? I LOVE THAT SETUP!!! :eek: :D

I need specs!! :p What thickness of plywood did you use? What did you cover it with? And most of all, could we see a pic WITH the door installed? How does it attach??? Hinged? Slide up/down??? I must know so I can get to work on mine!! :cheers:

Jody. [tt]Ih8Mud.com has given me more project ideas than I'll ever have a chance to do any time soon...[/tt]

Well, lets see.

1/2 inch ply covered with bulk dash mat carpet that I bought from our dash mat supplier. It is bolted to the floor where the third row seat strikers go. I removed the strikers and used those threaded holes. I have more pics at home. I'll put a couple more up. The back cover is also carpeted and it is a pressure fit using velcro to stick it to the box better. When the tail gate is closed, the box cover is snug against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom