Kings vs. Stock On-Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hundreds of threads under my belt so far but have yet to find comments comparing the Kings 2.5 system to OEM from the standpoint of maintaining or improving the OEM on-road characteristics. This is my DD and I also do lots of highway so basically looking for butter around town, highway and medium speed dirt road floating. I don't care about Baja type stuff so it seems like linear/progressive is the way to go.

Thanks!

What don't you like about the stock suspension that you are trying to improve? That might help people offer more targeted advice since the Kings can be valved to suit. Some love the OEM set up and others think it is too soft. Personally I was quite happy with my OEM set up until I started adding weight to the vehicle -drawers, LRA, roof rack with stuff on it - which necessitated a suspension upgrade.

What don't you like about the stock suspension that you are trying to improve? That might help people offer more targeted advice since the Kings can be valved to suit. Some love the OEM set up and others think it is too soft. Personally I was quite happy with my OEM set up until I started adding weight to the vehicle -drawers, LRA, roof rack with stuff on it - which necessitated a suspension upgrade.

My main gripe with the suspension around town is regular creases or imperfections transmit a noticeable shock through the cab i.e in the Lexus equivalent you'd just hear a mid-pitch noise and feel a bump on the wheel. Only other gripe is sections of uneven pavement cause some bucking - my kids love that though.

I will definitely be adding weight in the front/rear. My question is can a properly tuned king setup equal or improve on these gripes if that is your priority.

Also, I keep thinking that because of KDSS you can keep a suspension soft without a ton of body roll/lean. Is this correct to a reasonable level?

My main gripe with the suspension around town is regular creases or imperfections transmit a noticeable shock through the cab i.e in the Lexus equivalent you'd just hear a mid-pitch noise and feel a bump on the wheel. Only other gripe is sections of uneven pavement cause some bucking - my kids love that though.

I will definitely be adding weight in the front/rear. My question is can a properly tuned king setup equal or improve on these gripes if that is your priority.

Also, I keep thinking that because of KDSS you can keep a suspension soft without a ton of body roll/lean. Is this correct to a reasonable level?

Kings will help chassis control noticeably, so the bucking issue will change a lot for the better.

In my experience things like a very short dip of 2-3 inches deep that crosses the whole lane (quite a few of those where I live) the kings won’t help at all. My mid 2000s German daily driver struggles with these as well, so I think it is particularly difficult to tune for. About the only thing that will address those is a larger lower pressure tire, IMO.

In every other driving dynamic they are an improvement, though that can depend on valving.

But if you don’t need the off-road stuff I’m not sure I’d bother. They do introduce their own issues.. much more potential for leaks, hoses rubbing tires or front suspension, rear upper bushings on some installs, etc. Yes we can rebuild them at home but they are unlikely to last as long as OE before needing work.

Kings will help chassis control noticeably, so the bucking issue will change a lot for the better.

In my experience things like a very short dip of 2-3 inches deep that crosses the whole lane (quite a few of those where I live) the kings won’t help at all. My mid 2000s German daily driver struggles with these as well, so I think it is particularly difficult to tune for. About the only thing that will address those is a larger lower pressure tire, IMO.

In every other driving dynamic they are an improvement, though that can depend on valving.

But if you don’t need the off-road stuff I’m not sure I’d bother. They do introduce their own issues.. much more potential for leaks, hoses rubbing tires or front suspension, rear upper bushings on some installs, etc. Yes we can rebuild them at home but they are unlikely to last as long as OE before needing work.
Super helpful, thanks. I know this is subjective but hoping another member was going after the same thing.

Im pretty sure king will reduce body roll/lean. My Icons did a lot. Mostly the rear shocks. If adding weight will need to upgrade suspension or you will amplify these issues considerably.

It's a good system, but not magic. Given the amount of weight already sprung on the LC when you drive off of the lot, it is amazing how well it drives in stock form - staying near level on freeway cloverleafs. The KDSS is valved and pressurized for stock. Once you start to add weight, change the ride height and stiffen the springs, the KDSS will not work with the same facility. This isn't to say that it's no good anymore, just that there is a limit to its adaptability - it can only contribute so much to the physics equation that is the vehicle in motion. Increasing mass (weight) and leverage (height) it will struggle to keep up its end of the bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom