King of The Hammers 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will be going and leaving either Tuesday night or really early Wednesday morning . I have a friend running in the UTV class and want to be there before the start. I will probably stay until Saturday

Last time we went, we just camped remote. Found an open area about 1 mile from Hammertown. about 1/2 mile from the obstacle Back Door . It was good humor going at night to watch everyone try to climb the waterfall . I was thinking about doing something similar . Its not too far to go into Hammertown to check out all the racers and other stuff happening

I will be going and leaving either Tuesday night or really early Wednesday morning . I have a friend running in the UTV class and want to be there before the start. I will probably stay until Saturday

Are you talking Feb 4

Looks like ~5 hours away, a straight drive out?

Straight drive with a gas stop :) , out either the afternoon evening of the 4th or way early morning on the 5th I would rather be there on the 4th. It will depend on how soon I can get my work done. I will be pulling my A frame Chalet trailer too .

I'll be heading out early on the 5th, then driving home on the 9th...

Camping with friends, sleeping in my truck (as all real men do)

I suspect cell coverage is nearly non-existent, which is why they offer WiFi leases to support email.

CB comm will be challenging / traffic jammed

I'm going out the night of 5th, or morning of 6th. I helped build a rig that is in it. Team 602. We have a rather large group going out between pit crew and friends.

I'll be heading out early on the 5th, then driving home on the 9th...

Camping with friends, sleeping in my truck (as all real men do)

I suspect cell coverage is nearly non-existent, which is why they offer WiFi leases to support email.

CB comm will be challenging / traffic jammed

I will gladly give up my man card, for the comfort of a regular bed in the desert. :flipoff2: Ham would be the ticket for coms. I suppose using some of our local frequencies could be the ticket, for any of the CSC folks .
One is 146.46 I need to get the other one after I look at my radio
I will bring my portable too

I'm going out the night of 5th, or morning of 6th. I helped build a rig that is in it. Team 602. We have a rather large group going out between pit crew and friends.

Cool ... got pics and more info about it? Sounds interesting

I'll try to post pics. It's a 6.0 built w/ turbo 400 and an atlas. Running thru built Dana 60s on 40" meats. It's been a lot of fun. We built it in a mad dash for last year's KOH, but he popped 2 tires during the qualifier, and missed it by 22 seconds. He ran ultra4 for the season, hot enough points to get in thi year. Now we all been in race prep mode since.

ForumRunner_20140123_131143.jpg

ForumRunner_20140123_131242.jpg

ForumRunner_20140123_131143.jpg

ForumRunner_20140123_131242.jpg

I'll try to post pics. It's a 6.0 built w/ turbo 400 and an atlas. Running thru built Dana 60s on 40" meats. It's been a lot of fun. We built it in a mad dash for last year's KOH, but he popped 2 tires during the qualifier, and missed it by 22 seconds. He ran ultra4 for the season, hot enough points to get in thi year. Now we all been in race prep mode since.

Very cool hope you guys do well!

Nice rig AFinn! I'll be looking for you.

...via IH8MUD app

We made it to mile 179 out of 194, had 3 hours left, but that was all they could do. The buggy had a misfire going into the race no one could figure out. Into the third lap, it got so bad he couldnt climb obstacles anymore. And once the winch broke, they threw in the towel. I was working the remote pits all day, didn't actually see any of the race, but was great time.

ForumRunner_20140209_184327.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_184356.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_184418.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_184327.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_184356.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_184418.jpg

I also made the trip to Johnson Valley , to watch KOH 2014 .
This is just an amazing week of racing. Hammertown is a city built over the weeks prior to the races with Motorhomes, race teams, trailers, and whatever else you can bring to make this a really huge event.

If you don't like dust, this isn't for you, but it is what it is. I enjoyed the entire experience and look forward to heading out again, next year. How many ways can you build a vehicle to run the Hammers? You will see every version imaginable. Engineering minds , will go into overload.

I set up camp about 1/2 mile before Hammertown, on the west side of the main road. Since the wind blows out of the west, this keeps most of the extra dust from invading basecamp.

I just picked up this Viking trailer to take to events and camping . I don't need an off-road trailer. Just one that I can set up base camp .

I took this just for you 80 guys
Even the tall ones would be stretching to get in

Just before the entrance to Chocolate Thunder .

These two rolled in from M-I-S-S-I-S-S-P-P-I. Actually, trailered in .

In town , this was my favorite evening. Tech inspection
6 plus hours of bumper to bump, every isle filled with cool buggies

Common theme

Loved this buggy... big style points

"Izzy" with her race face on

A little playing at "Back Door "

Great pictures Don, looks like a good time ~

See you on the 22nd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom