King 2.5 rear shock upper bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
I got my king 2.5s installed a couple months back and love them. But of course, 2 weeks later in an unrelated thread @Taco2Cruiser posted the following about king rear upper bushings being trashed at 4k miles: Squeaky Spherical bushings BP51

This got me wondering what mine were like, and I decided to pull the shocks at about 3k to have a look, since it's a pretty easy job. I decided to have new bushings on hand in case they were bad, and this involved a little back and forth from Ben @ Filthy motorsports. The first bushings he sent were standard flat pin-mount bushings, but king puts a different version in our application designed to do a better job of centering itself in the larger hole in the crossmember. Ben eventually got these to me, and mine were good enough they stayed on the shelf for later.

Here are the bushings.. new king 200-series on top, regular pin-mount king on bottom, and my 3k mile bushings to the right.

IMG_2506.JPG

Basically, after 3k, mine looked great. The bushings Taco posted seem to be the flat design. He has a good explanation in that thread about the side-to-side and front-to-back movement of the axle during suspension travel meaning it is inevitable for these bushings to die quickly, but I wonder if this is why King changed the design.

Still, while I had it apart I explored other options. Here is what toyota uses for the stock setup. 2 rubber bushings on either side of two metal washers, one of which has a raised section to center it in the larger hole in the crossmember.

IMG_2509.JPG

Frankly it is a great system, as you'd expect OEM from toyota. You'll basically never have problems. Someone suggested taking that metal washer and putting it in the stack of king bushings, but with the stock ones it just won't fit. With the regular flat ones though..

IMG_2510.JPG

I don't think the upper flat washer is really necessary, and if you leave it out, this should bolt right in. it isn't perfect though, the ID of the washer with the raised lip is substantially larger than the metal and plastic sleeves king has centering these bushings. Whether that would be a problem or not, I don't know.

IMG_2512.JPG

Someone with a lathe and some machining skills could easily knock out a washer that has the raised lip and a smaller ID.. but I'm not sure if it's even necessary.

Here's another pic of the setup

IMG_2511.JPG

Either way, my stock rubber king bushings with the raised lips were good enough I decided to throw them back in. Plus, mine were overtightened.. king doesn't give a torque value, but says to have roughly 1/8" of the threaded pin sticking out of the top of the nut. At times I'm not the best about reading instructions and didn't see this detail.. I had at least 1/4" to maybe 3/8.

They didn't look perfect, but seemed fine to put back in.

IMG_2507.JPG

new:

IMG_2508.JPG

So if someone is harder on their truck and dealing with bushing failures it seems we have an option. I'll pay attention for clunks and issues with the rears and try the above if it ends up being needed.

Is this a polyurethane issue? If so I have had numerous issues over the years! I much prefer rubber...

Is this a polyurethane issue? If so I have had numerous issues over the years! I much prefer rubber...
It seems that it might be a low durometer poly, but I’m not totally sure. Usually real rubber has a mold release agent and I’m not seeing any of that on the new bushings. But they aren’t nearly as stiff as typical poly suspension bushings either.
Rubber bushings could be a good long term solution but I wouldn’t want to be the one trying to find some that would fit. The OE rubber won’t work due to the ID being larger.. they’d walk around on the king sleeve far too much.

My kings looked exactly like your top ones with the sleeved inner. I was nervous as well with not having a torque value with that top nut but I have been keeping a close eye on them over several road trips (some with significant off roading) and they appear to be stable. My OME setup on the other hand suffered from the insufficient top thread depth and squeaked constantly. Thankfully, there was no damage to the upper shock mount. I have no complaints with my kings at this time and your post is confirmation that I don't need to spend the time to pull them apart to check.

After 35k miles I pulled the shocks and figured I'd post some pictures on the bushings after that distance.

Basically, they look fine, no concerns. This is only one side, but the other was the exact same.

IMG_9910.JPG

IMG_9913.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom