"Kind of Blue" - My new 1988 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You need to pull the door panel and see what's going on inside the door. Odd place for rust, but not unheard of.

Ultimately (after any repairs) you will want to squirt oil/ATF or grease in the bottoms of your doors (the seam area) to prevent future rust. Close the door on some newspapers to soak up what leaks out.

Check the lower seams on the tailgate and hatch as well (and the hood, for that matter). Any folded seam is a place for rust to start. Your roofline (rain gutter area) has body filler on it, and has rusted in the past. Check the 'floor' of the rain gutter to see if it is sound or needs sealing. The windshield area, too, has had rust in the past that is sprouting again. Those areas (once fully cleaned/de-rusted) could be touched up with a brush.

Whatever you do, the truck must be parked inside and not driven in the rain any more than absolutely necessary. Sadly, that will be hard to do in Illinois.

Steve

Thank you, appreciate the input. Will check areas you mentioned and post some more pics. Luckily have another car and the 62 will remain in garage so should not see much outside of salt-free roads and sunny days here in IL.

So in the paperwork I got with the truck was the email addy of the owner who sold it to the person I bought it from. Was thinking they had maybe done some bodywork or rust repairs so emailed them seeing if they'd share any pedigree info on the truck.

Heard back and with it he forwarded me the email full of pictures from when he originally purchased it in early-2012. He said it had a leaky gas tank that he got replaced under recall and also replaced exhaust system when he bought it. Other than that, he installed a new stereo and speakers and added 3-point belts and replaced missing headrests in rear. No paint or bodywork done by him so truck has been as it stands for 10 years at minimum. He put 5k miles on it between 2012 and 2020 when he owned it, which all matches the Carfax. Very nice guy, and am glad I reached out.

While I had carfax open, I calculated that it has averaged 1,900 miles a year over the last 22 years and only 650 miles a year for the last 9 years.

Here are a few shots of it from 2012 when he bought. Other than lift/tires/sliders looks same as it does now - down to the front bumper dent:

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom